Metal Fatigue points in A bodies

-
Reaction score
I've repaired rear upper shock mounting points, K member cracks,
t-bar sockets that "let go", strut rod bushing hole blowouts, and
flapping tabs for forward upper-control arm mounts.
It seems that over 125,000 miles you just get these things.
I have 303,000 on a '71 Swinger with a 340, and 188,000 on a '65 Dart GT.
I've had good success with forming a piece of random steel to fit, then
drilling/tapping/bolting the bejeezus out of it.

Last friday my '65 GT cracked the 7 1/4 housing just outside the center member. I've never heard of this. There was no big bump or noise , just regular driving home from work. and suddenly there was this flubbety feeling.

What other areas have y'all had with stress fractures?

Also I've been using mid-80's Corvette shocks for years on the front.
You pull the botttom shaft, press in your old lower eye bushing, and it's a bolt-in. Anyone else? Then for the rears I've been using Ford 1/2 ton truck rear shocks. They're a bolt-in, too and really help with handling.

The area around where the door latch bolts to the door on the early A bodies always seems to be stress cracked around the screw holes. I fixed mine, then went on the lookout for an undamaged door for my 66 Cuda, and every door i found was cracked in this area, especially the drivers door. All that slamming over the years and thin metal takes it's toll on this area something awful.

I have had several a bodies (darts and B-cudas) that have torn sheet metal brackets for the trunk lid torsion bars. One has the stud for mounting the hinge torn clean. Door strikers on several, thin sheet metal where the tops of the fenders mount to the inner fender well.

-
Back