Metal Intake Gasket

-

servicegroup

Reaction score
I couldn't find another thread where this topic had been touched so hence I started this thread.

I'm installing an intake on another car of minn with cast iron and curious as to how you guys do it.

Metal Gaskets . Install Dry or Not?

Experience tells me to copper coat everything and use rtv in the corners..

I have actually had luck using the cork end rails and will probably stick with em....

My main question is the manifold gaskets installation procedures.

You obviously know about the end gaskets already, and I use a film of RTV around all the port openings and corners.
Then slap it together right away.

Copper coat would probably be fine also. (I just prefer RTV)

I like the Mr gasket Ultraseal intake sets, but any gasket will do as long as it matches the port size you have (318 or 340/360). Clean everything really well using brake clean or laquer thinner. Don't allow any grease on the mating surfaces including from your skin. A very thin skim of RTV around the coolant ports that flow (not the rear two), and a generous bead of ultra grey silicone on the ends (pull the alignment pins if they're still in them). Set the intake in palce, make sure you can start all the bolts with your fingers, and I use liquid teflon on the bolt threads to stop the oil puddles that sometimes come up. Torque from center out alternating sides.

I would put a thin coat of sealer on each side of the intake ports, and on the end gaskets.

Then fill in the corners with some RTV.

I use the cork end gaskets.

For composite type intake gaskets, I use Gaskacinch on both sides of the port and end gaskets and fill the corners with clear RTV. It's worked for me for years.....

For iron to iron and a metal gasket, I use a skim of red RTV around the ports. FWIW: I have not had good results using a metal gasket with an aluminum intake. I've used a thicker intake gasket, again with RTV red.

For iron to iron and a metal gasket, I use a skim of red RTV around the ports. FWIW: I have not had good results using a metal gasket with an aluminum intake. I've used a thicker intake gasket, again with RTV red.

Exactly.

The steel gasket if for the cast iron intakes.

If you are installing aluminum, go with composite/permatorque style. Do not use the metal gasket with the aluminum intake.

...................I have never in my whole life ever used any kind of sealer around the intake ports or water ports on any motor....if u have to use sealer to stop any kind of a leak, u have a problem that should be dealt with, not apply a band aid.......kim.........

...................I have never in my whole life ever used any kind of sealer around the intake ports or water ports on any motor....if u have to use sealer to stop any kind of a leak, u have a problem that should be dealt with, not apply a band aid.......kim.........

Unless you have every thing personally mocked up, & milled to the a++,how would you achieve this, Kimmer? Just curious.....

I personally don't see it as having to use sealer, but to me a light film is just an extra measure of no seep security.

-
Back