Metal restoration surface finish

-

simon325e

Large Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Simple question I hope. I am in the process of tearing down my 68 NB and I am wondering about cleaning up the rusty bits like the jack, interior parts (e.g. ash tray), suspension and so forth.

My question is once I blast the stuff clean, what sort of surface prep is needed to keep the bare metal parts from rusting AND to make them look like original? I was looking at the ash tray and it has a particular finish that if I blast might not look the same.

Just wondering what the restoration guys are doing.

Thanks in advance.

Is this a stupid question or one no one cares about???:dontknow::dontknow:

Many of the parts you have in mind are cadmium plated, either silver-tone (e.g., ash tray) or gold-tone (some brackets and other parts).

I seem to remember that Eastwood Co. sells kits for re-electroplating original metal finishes, i.e. black phosphate, cadmium, etc. All you need is a kit, some plastic containers, and a 12 volt battery.

I seem to remember that Eastwood Co. sells kits for re-electroplating original metal finishes, i.e. black phosphate, cadmium, etc. All you need is a kit, some plastic containers, and a 12 volt battery.
Exactly right. These kits were used on my 69 Swinger 340 car.
Also, instead of blasting parts, use a phosphate etch to remove light rust from the metal.

George

Are you going for a 100 point restoration?

If not, allow your mind to move past the small things or the car will never get finished.

For example…… The ashtray. Blast it then hit it with a mat or semi-gloss spray can, clear.

first try to get the rust off with Evaporust, you might be surprised how it comes out

first try to get the rust off with Evaporust, you might be surprised how it comes out

This is good advice. I try, when I can, to avoid media blasting and protect the original surface finish and texture.

Just went through this when cleaning up my trunk latch parts. All I used was a chemical stripper and degreaser.

Are you going for a 100 point restoration?

If not, allow your mind to move past the small things or the car will never get finished.

For example…… The ashtray. Blast it then hit it with a mat or semi-gloss spray can, clear.

lol- you are right- but the small stuff keeps me going when the big stuff is stuck for whatever reason. I will report back as I try things. I think I have some evap-o-rust around to try.

-
Back