Metal Shavings in Fuel Eccentric

-

Peter J Boncella

Reaction score
(360 LA)My fuel pump stopped pumping so i took off the timing cover to see what was up and the fuel eccentric was loose and when I took it off to check it out, I found metal shavings all in the back of it. What could the metal be from, and do I need to tear down the engine and clean everything to make sure theres no more metal? thanks

(360 LA)My fuel pump stopped pumping so i took off the timing cover to see what was up and the fuel eccentric was loose and when I took it off to check it out, I found metal shavings all in the back of it. What could the metal be from, and do I need to tear down the engine and clean everything to make sure theres no more metal? thanks

crank oil slinger???

like this one
1960-1976 Dodge Charger Parts | MN1143 | 1960-76 Mopar V8 Crankshaft Oil Slinger | Classic Industries

It could have chewed up the cam snout/woodruff key, so check that; but my best guess (without pics :() is that the eccentric was rubbing the rear of the timing chain cover. Check shavings with a magnet. If it carved into the back of the cover, replace it, along with the cam key, eccentric and hardware.
Drain your oil and check for shavings in the oil and in the sump, if none of the shavings made it down there, you may have gotten lucky- but I would still flush everything out as a precaution.
And when you reassemble it, use Locktite on the bolt...

If your fuel pump eccentric was loose and you found metal shavings on it it's probably from the fuel pump eccentric and or the fuel pump arm the cam is too hard in my opinion to be chewed up by a stamped steel fuel pump eccentric..

You're going to have to take the front cover off that means harmonic balancer water pump pulleys and brackets out of the way couple lower front pan bolts and then the cover bolts find out what happened if it's fixable cool run some oil through the pan and over that timing chain and drain it see if you can get the metal out then put it back together and when you do use a little bit of blue Loctite on the cam bolt and torque it to 30lbs...or tight then a mild wack of a rubber mallet.

-
Back