Metallic paint question

-

Don K

Reaction score
I like to paint my own cars. I haven't done a bunch. I have always used high gloss single stage. I'm not the best painter so I end up with some orange peel here and there. I have pretty good luck wet sanding and buffing it out. I have read that buffing a metallic paint can screw it up. I have always done solid color non metallic paints in the past. I would like to paint my next project plum crazy but the paints I'm finding are metallic. I must admit I like the look. So anyone out there with some experience or wisdom I would love to hear from you.

Buff all you like on a metallic, won't hurt a thing.
What I usually tell people is to wait a month or more to make sure the (single stage/acrylic enamel) paint has cured/outgassed before doing any color sanding/cutting/buffing/waxing. If using an acrylic laquer, you can do it within a couple days.

Buff all you like on a metallic, won't hurt a thing.
What I usually tell people is to wait a month or more to make sure the (single stage/acrylic enamel) paint has cured/outgassed before doing any color sanding/cutting/buffing/waxing. If using an acrylic laquer, you can do it within a couple days.
Good to know. I like to use single stage it looks more period correct.

No you don’t sand the base coat with 2 stage, unless you have to de nub

-
Back