Michigan Guys I need your help

-

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at a 1967 GTX that is for sale by a member on FABO that has it listed for his uncle. The car is in Michigan. I hope to call tomorrow (Sunday) and get more info on the car. I live in Virginia so no way of me getting out there to look at it.

I think the car is located in Grand Rapids Michigan. Where I need help is, does anyone live in that area that could check the car out for me in their spare time?

The car being from Michigan worries me due to the rust. I do know just from the add it comes with lower 1/4s or maybe full quarters. I will call the guy and get more info on the GTX and maybe if I want to pursue it more I thought I would go ahead and line up someone or make a list of guys who can look at it and tell me what they think of it.

I do know it has a 400 motor in it right now not running so I would have to find a 440 or maybe build a 400 stroker motor.

The 67 GTX is my favorite next to the 70 and then 68 and the 71s and 72s with the 69 being on the last of my list. I don't know why but the only 69 cars I love are the 69 1/2 MOPARs.

I still have that 71 Road Runner in Texas on my mind that I even got the price of doing the body work and paint of 10-12 thousand and then the rest of the car would need to be done like motor, trans and interior. I still love that car and who knows if after I'm done with my classes in Julie or August and I'm back to work I may buy it as well.

So if you live in Michigan around Grand Rapids let me know. You can post here and pm me or just post and I will pm you with details after I get more info.

Thanks everyone.

Well, I live in Michigan, but not that close to GR. I can however, set you up with a correct 67 440 motor that was removed from a Chrysler 300. If you can't find someone to go look at the car, I would be willing to make the trip and check out the car for you. I am going to Mt. Pleasant next weekend, which isn't that close to GR either, but would be willing to go by there and look it over.

I also have a 67 GTX and have had it for almost 20 years, so I am pretty familiar with the car. Maybe you'd be interested in mine?? Original drivetrain, California car, just turned 100k miles, motor rebuilt about 3000 miles ago!!

Maybe send a message out to our member bkbond, he lives in GR and may be able to help. Keep me posted if you can't find someone closer, I'll make the trip for you!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_3372.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 195
Well, I live in Michigan, but not that close to GR. I can however, set you up with a correct 67 440 motor that was removed from a Chrysler 300. If you can't find someone to go look at the car, I would be willing to make the trip and check out the car for you. I am going to Mt. Pleasant next weekend, which isn't that close to GR either, but would be willing to go by there and look it over.

I also have a 67 GTX and have had it for almost 20 years, so I am pretty familiar with the car. Maybe you'd be interested in mine?? Original drivetrain, California car, just turned 100k miles, motor rebuilt about 3000 miles ago!!

Maybe send a message out to our member bkbond, he lives in GR and may be able to help. Keep me posted if you can't find someone closer, I'll make the trip for you!! Geof

Thanks for the offer, I will see what happens after I get the pictures. I just talked to him on the phone and not sure if this is going to be a major project.

I really need to see the pics before I can say that. I think he said the front fenders will need work, drivers floor pan, quarter panels, wheel housings, and both doors need work. I think the seams of the doors have the problems.

I really like your GTX that is an awesome looking ride man!

I don't mind a project car but the price should reflect that or just wait it out and hope the prices go back up again.

I called a guy about a 65 Barracuda thats restored and its 8500 I just shook my head and was like ok thanks.

I will post the pics as well here and on the add as well for anyone interested. I think it may be something I just keep saving and buy a car done already.

If I like what I see from the pictures I might take you up on the offer to look the car over. Thanks again.

OK, just keep this thread updated and I'll check back. My trip to Mt. Pleasant is on Saturday, and I'll be done by 3:00pm so I could just take the western swing home if you need me to!! Geof

Nice GTX cosgig! More pics of that would be cool! Is it 4 on the floor?

OK, just keep this thread updated and I'll check back. My trip to Mt. Pleasant is on Saturday, and I'll be done by 3:00pm so I could just take the western swing home if you need me to!! Geof

Thanks Geof will do man. I should have some pics soon. I will post them up and see what you think of them.

Stay safe man I'm off to prep some more for the storm that is coming.

No 4 speed, column shifted auto, just like grandpa would want it!!!LOL!! Originally white with a copper interior, but it was black when I got it. Had a million dollar paint job on it, but unfortunately it is from Cali and the paint on the topside of the car was almost completely sunburned away!! I had a friend paint it in the mid 90's for $400.00 and I bought the paint!! Best 400 I've spent on this car so far, as that paint job has held up pretty well. I would've changes it back to white, but the engine bay and trunk is also painted and I didn't want to disassemble it!!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, so heres just a couple....

Attachments

• 100_3375.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 100_3376.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 100_3378.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 172
If it's the car I'm thinking of I'm sure the seller will be totally up front with you on the car. I know him and have bought from him in person. Ask him exactly what you want to know and I am confident that he will give you an honest answer.

When I met with him and his dad they seemed to me to be stand up people. I firmly believe that he is an honest guy.

There is also a thread on here somewhere with some pics.

Just went back and looked at your OP, I'm guessing you have already seen the thread.

No 4 speed, column shifted auto, just like grandpa would want it!!!LOL!! Originally white with a copper interior, but it was black when I got it. Had a million dollar paint job on it, but unfortunately it is from Cali and the paint on the topside of the car was almost completely sunburned away!! I had a friend paint it in the mid 90's for $400.00 and I bought the paint!! Best 400 I've spent on this car so far, as that paint job has held up pretty well. I would've changes it back to white, but the engine bay and trunk is also painted and I didn't want to disassemble it!!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, so heres just a couple....

Thanks for the pics Geof......it does look really good! Ok,sorry for the hijack as well. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

John

Hey its cool I like the pics so you can post away. That is a nice GTX very nice car.

Yeah the guy seemed to be ok with me on the phone and was up front and told me to ask for more pictures after I look at them and he will take them.

I think its a big project and at that price I think its out of the ball park for right now in this market. I do love the 67s and would love to own one but not sure it will be this one.

I see the emails now going to look at the pics I will try to post them later tonight or tomorrow. I'm gearing up for this storm man I hope we dont lose power.

More to come and post a few more pics thats a nice ride.

I hope the storm passes your area with minimal damage and nobody gets hurt!! Be safe, and smart, R/T!! Geof

if you would have put this up a week ago I would have. Wifes family over that way but we live in Detroit

I live in Michigan, I haven't seen the GTX in person but here is my 2 cents.

I owned a couple of 1966 Belvederes and restored one of them from top to bottom.

If the car was that great of a deal it would have been sold by now, you would need to get this car for less than the $5.5K.

Going by the pictures this car will need everything so you are looking at a ton of money, and unless you can do most/all the work (then you would need a 1/2 ton of money) you will end up upside down...it's a complete project.

You will need an engine...a 440 if you want to be correct...then if that needs to be rebuilt it mean more $$$.

Body and paint...Michigan cars rust from underneath so you are probably looking at maybe patching the floors, trunk floors/extensions...patching or replacing the doors and front fenders.

The ad mentions full lower 1/4 patch panels...if they are aftermarket...then they are junk...you will need donor original quarter panels, make sure you get them with the trunk extensions.

Also if you haven't seen them, get pictures of the passenger side...the passenger side of cars in Michigan tend to be worse then the drivers side (all that Winter salt build up at the side of the road.)

The trunk appears to be missing the trim panel...ask if they have that...a nice one will set you back and arm and a leg.

I would count on redoing all the chrome, the front bumper seems to need work, chrome in Michigan takes a beating especially pot metal pieces which are tough to rechrome.

Interior looks to need carpet and seat covers. The chrome on those dashes tend to need to be redone because they don't hold up with age.

Can't tell on steering wheel condition but there appears to be issues with the door sill...count on buying a pair of those.

Also I see some shackles out the back...never a good sign so I would work under the idea of front and rear suspension rebuilding.

So the SPEND-O-METER will be spinning.

These GTXs go for a lot less than the later GTXs so keep that in mind. Last Woodward Dream Cruise I looked at 2 1967 GTXs one red one for $19,500 which was full restored and one yellow one from Texas but not quite as nice but still in excellent restored condition for $18,000.

All that being said, if you have the time and the money I like the car because you could make it your own and have any engine you want...and any color combination.

Good luck with your decision.
Paul

-
Back