Might buy 64 'Cuda...but A/C and CONSOLE...?! Huh?

-

VALIANTresearch

Reaction score
Hello!
I am in Las Vegas, and there are 2 cars I have been looking at buying for a while, and doing tons of research on in the meantime.
They are not advertised, so I have the luxury.

a 1964 Valiant convertible, and a 1964 Barracuda that is a V8...seems to have factory ** A/C **. What the?
BIG QUESTION...
...V8 Automatic and console on the FLOOR...

BUT...evreything from the generic wikipedia (which I have to admit, with say, cars I know a lot about...their info. matches reality. They go to the right sources)...
to HERE says that if tyou are trying to tell a 1964 'Cuda from a 1965,
~the "V" below rear window
~and on the, "VALIANT" on the horn cap
~And the "Valiant" on the Rt Rear valence, if it's still there...
mean 1964.
Q=How? ~ Wikipedia and even the "1st gen ID" thread on here say that
~if it is a 1964 AUTO., it had the dash PB AUTO.
~End of story!
~Last year for it, too...so I see.
~BUT

====AUTOMATIC SHIFTER SEEMS TO BE IN DISAGREEMENT (CAR WAS NEVER MODIFIED)====

...THIS IS A 1964, AND IT HAS NO PB AUTO OR DASH ACCOMODATION FOR IT...AND IT HAS THE CONSOLE SHIFT.
????
I thought maybe it was a 1965 ((since I have not seen the title yet, AND I know the guy doesn't know 1/2 the cars because on the ones I know more about...he doesn't have some of the years right!)).

===CAR HAS A/C====

Q=~And...CAR HAS AIR CONDITIONING...gotta be scarce in the first year?
Switches are all integrated in the dash, not an aftermakrket "hanger" unit... COOL! But...
Q=I have never seen any mention of A/C in any talk of the options for 1964, (I just did several searches on here) to get a guage of how common or "rare" it was IN the 1964 'Cudas.

Is this dry car with a very intact intrior, that I already thought was a solid project...rare?
Why the contradictory options? It's basically a 2-owner car...and it's been off the road 15 years or so...all original.

Everything I see says the 1964 AUTO cars ALL had the PButton, and it was the 1st and last they did.
If console AUTO...must be a 1965, usually...so...?

This one has the 1964 interior, "Valiant" all over....and what would seem to be the 1965 AUTO dash and floor console? And A/C in the dash.
????

Here is a pic of the dash.

CAM_JNKYD_CARS_09 008.jpg

Looks like a 65 to me...1st and only year for the floor shift..A/C wasn't a factory option, as far as I've found until '65. I'm sure others will chime in and comfirm/deny...

...and if anyone needs to know where to find stuff for 1955-57 Chevy they cannot locate, maybe I can help find it!

V8/AUTO car...A/C.

But I am at a loss on these little Mopars...just want to know if I should pick this thing up... it's cheap enough...and seems like rare options on it.

====
Body is super straight, has little bits of filler here and there.
Mostly in DR door...(doors are cheap).

Guy who owns it removed wheels from most cars (I think to prevent theft)...but it's rocky or sandy ground where they are, and we have almost "0" rain here...guess we can do stuff like that without ruining the frames!

Has an extremely nice dash.
The condition of the door panels and original black vinyl seats is kind of amazing. Not that I'd use it, but...!

Car was closed up, that's why.
Not all rusted OR rotten.
======
Inside, all the rear seat trim and the chromed bar supporting the back seat are nice...NO pits.
====
Looking at parts sources, I was kind iof amazed there was an interior made for it...and by the good opne..."Legendary". So that's easy.
====
Q=Restoration - wise, not for custom-type harness...
Still looking into who does the wiring HArnesses (YNZ's or those restoration ones, I hope),
and the fuel parts
(SENDING UNIT, LINES, etc.).

THANKS!

CAM_JNKYD_CARS_09 006.jpg

Console indicates it's a 65 and was the only year that console was used. You are correct in that if it were a 64, it would have pushbuttons to the left of the instrument cluster. Definitely factory air and don't think all that many were produced. I've been told that the heater/AC bezel for both the 65 Valiant/Barracuda and 65 Dart are hard to find if one were retrofitting "factory air" in their non-AC equipped 65. I've converting both my 65 GT convert and wagon to factory style air and might do it to my 65 Barracuda (I do have everything including the hard-to-find bezels to do the swap.

Looks to be a 65............but......just may be a late production 64?!?!
Ma Mopar did some odd things.

Sure looks like a sixty five. The console shifter and the dash are 65 style. The 64 had the fuel temp and ammeter in seperate gauges instead of the big round combo unit. Check the VIN to be sure. http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/vin.htm

If the fender tag is still on the left inner fender well get that info too. It is very useful. Looks like a car in really decent condition. If the convertible is really a 64 you can compare the dashes to see the differences. As you have discovered the 64 and 65 Barrcudas only differed in a very few areas.

Okay - thanks.
So...what else nails it, before having seen the title?
Grille/front?

Now...

I keep seeing that:
ONLY 1964s had the ":VALIANT" horn cap and the "V" below the rear window.
~But the in the "1st gen id" thread on here, people pointed out that the under-rear-window trim was a grey area. Was also a carryover based on the production date, if you know how to delve into it that much.
~But no one seems to argue that the Horn Cap was NOT done on into 1965 with the "Valiant".
Maiking it a 1964...

~But the dash that started AND ended in 1964 (no one seems to argue that)...is not there.
~And the console that started IN 1965...Is there. What the...?

If the car had been through 10 owners, hot rodded or altered I would think they replaced with whatever.

But it hasn't so it is kind of a source of neat contradictions...

~So...If it is a 1965 (kind of looking like it is, with big items like the type of shifter and whole DASH pod), then it has "Valiant" stuff people say ended in 1964, TOO...weird car.

(Like I said, he says he has it, but with 100+ cars he knows little about, I want to find out first what I am even looking at for sure - will see the title if I get the car!).

Wouldn't a early 65 have a 1964 build date? That is a 65. A 64 would have a Valiant script on the trunk lid too. I just removed the same knee knocker A/C unit from my 65.

Okay - thanks.
Grille/front?

Now...

I keep seeing that:
ONLY 1964s had the ":VALIANT" horn cap and the "V" below the rear window.
~But the in the "1st gen id" thread on here, people pointed out that the under-rear-window trim was a grey area. Was also a carryover based on the production date, if you know how to delve into it that much.
~But no one seems to argue that the Horn Cap was NOT done on into 1965 with the "Valiant".
Maiking it a 1964...

~But the dash that started AND ended in 1964 (no one seems to argue that)...is not there.
~And the console that started IN 1965...Is there. What the...?

If the car had been through 10 owners, hot rodded or altered I would think they replaced with whatever.

But it hasn't so it is kind of a source of neat contradictions...

~So...If it is a 1965 (kind of looking like it is, with big items like the type of shifter and whole DASH pod), then it has "Valiant" stuff people say ended in 1964, TOO...weird car.

(Like I said, he says he has it, but with 100+ cars he knows little about, I want to find out first what I am even looking at for sure - will see the title if I get the car!).

64 and 65 used the V trim. 66 is the switch to the fish

Kinda hard to tell from the picture you posted, but look at the backup lights. The ones on the car look round. If that is so it's a '65. The '64s had square backup lights that were the same width as the tail lights.

The VIN is on an aluminum plate at the front of the drivers door opening. That will confirm the year. Mopar did a lot of unusual things, especially as they transitioned from year to year.. Pick those cars up and put 'em in your driveway where you have ready access as the new owner!!

Kinda hard to tell from the picture you posted, but look at the backup lights. The ones on the car look round. If that is so it's a '65. The '64s had square backup lights that were the same width as the tail lights.

I think thats only on Valiants. Pretty sure 64 and 65 Barracudas used the same taillights.

Wow - thanks.

VALIANT PICTURE:

I am flying blind on researching them...I was surprised, even on the Valiant/Cuda club site I saw the decoder (thanks for locating it again for me), but no info. telling where all the tags ARE, unless I missed it.

They are far away...The guy's cars are outside if town in a huge storage yard.
Each trip out there involves a day or 2 notice, meeting him there etc..

I want to know right where to look on the car to decode eveything, before next trip.
Thanks!
======
Anyway for both the 1964 Valiant
and
the (apparently 1965) 'Cuda...

Can you guys tell me:

~VIN TAG:~
Cuda=The VIN tag is on the DR door front post.
VALIANT=Same?

~Did these cars have another "trim tag"~
(with interior/exterior color, options, engine info., etc.)...Has to be one, right?
Valiant is white with a red interior.
Cuda loks like it was white with black interior.

~Where would it, if there is on these 2 cars?
~Is the VIN also stamped on the frame, so I can make sure they have not been switched over the years?

THANKS!

CAM_JNKYD_CARS_09 009.jpg

they used the "V" emblem on early 66 cars also, it could be an early 65 year model sold in late 64 so the title would say 64 but the car is really a 65

Wow - thanks.

I am flying blind on researching them...I was surprised, even on the Valiant/Cuda club site I saw the decoder (thanks for locating it again for me), but no info. telling where all the tags ARE, unless I missed it.

The guy's cars are outside if town in a huge storage yard.
Each trip out there involves a day or 2 notice, meeting him there etc..

I want to know right where to look on the car to decose eveything, before next trip.
Thanks!
======
Anyway for both the 1964 (has the 1964 grille) Valiant
and
the (apparently 1965) 'Cuda...

Can you guys tell me:

~VIN TAG:
Cuda=The VIN tag is on the DR door front post.
VALIANT=Same? YES Glued to the front of the drivers door opening on both.

~Did these cars have another "trim tag" with interior/exterior color,
options, engine info., etc. Has to be something? The fender tag is aluminum
and screwed to the drivers front ineer fender right next to the battery. Between the VIN and that tag you will know most everything. The only other ID would be on a build sheet sometimes found reasonable intact under the back seat cushion.
Valiant is white with a red interior.
Cuda loks like it was white with black interior.

~Where would it, if there is on these 2 cars?

~Is the VIN also stamped on the frame, so I can make sure they have not been switched over the years?

THANKS!
(if I buy them I'll do more decoding of options, etc.

The front of that Valiant indicates it to be a 64. That is a 64 grille and the fenders have the wider style crease. 64 and 65 both used the narrower style.
64 usually had nuts on the winshield wipers 65 usually didn't.

Sweet! Thanks.

RE:
Q=~VIN TAG:
YES Glued to the front of the drivers door opening on both.

Q=~"trim tag" with interior/exterior color,
A=The fender tag is aluminum
and screwed to the drivers front ineer fender right next to the battery. Between the VIN and that tag you will know most everything. The only other ID would be on a build sheet sometimes found reasonable intact under the back seat cushion.

Sounds like you are catching the Mopar bug already! Re: the Barracuda, adding to the confusion I see the 'barracuda' script badges on the interior door panels have the long tail on the final 'a' that was used on '64's, the '65's had a shorter tail on that script. Isn't this fun? The fender tag should clear all this up.

Well dont know If im a little late but looks like a 65 to me ( looks just like the inside of my car when I started with it minus the a/c of course)... I have the longer tail on my inside emblems and mine is a 65 so I dont think that hold true all the time.

THANKS Fo TEH TRIM TAG INFO - GREAT...and Cargar SSs?

Really? Huh.
What size could I throw on there?

I see you have to oick yourbackspacing.

COuild wego to 15 w/ no suspension mods?
Even 14...I guess 6" W. Anyone know the backspacing or whatever else we'd need?

Thanks!

======
BARRACUDA EMBLEMS...

Yeah - weird - I just found the "early a-body ID" (isn't that the title?) thread last night -
I think you were the one mentioning (and showing examples) of the scripts. (?).
But that both styles had the same part # on the back, I think?

Maybe one # is for both years, and there were just 2 versions, mid-way?

Sounds like this car might start a few arguments if kleft unrestored!

Or settle some disputes from the "1964 was all one way and 1965 was all that way" believers?
======
SCRIPTS:

...The outdside is the only area there has been any alteration on...some paint sanded off on the hood, left to surface rust, and the fender emblmes are gone.

For all I know there are "CommandO" emblems missing...

If I get it I will look into decoding the engine.

====

www.yearone.com
www.paddockparts.com
www.laysons.com
Are just a few places for parts. Those A-body Barracudas are the same as a Valiant so many of the parts cross. Again, I wasn't much on them due to the narrow engine bay.
I was told that no one really kept up with the Mopars 1968 and earlier. It took me quite a bit of research and many questions from many Mopar sites to confirm my Cuda was 1 of less than 400 made. There is no real demand/market for the A-bodies unless you own a 1968 Hemi Dart or Barracuda or it has Boyd somewhere in or on it!. I am sure in the future the 340-383-440 A-bodies will begin to increase in value. My car is valued at 30,000 for insurance purposes but I would be lucky to get 15,000 when I am done with it. I am hoping that Galen has enough info to i.d. my car with the buildsheet and possibly register it.

-
Back