Milodon steering link clearance

-

GrapeApe

D7 D/Gas and Pro Champ
Reaction score
Is anybody using the big 10qt Milodon race pan with a small block? I cannot get enough clearance for the steering link to pass through the opening in the pan without binding on the bottom of the tube going through the pan. It seems the only solution is to lower the engine by 1/4" - 1/2" in the chassis.

Any ideas?????

Nice Dart!

If you mean turning it upside down that was my first thought. However, the tube going through the pan is only about 2 inches wide and it hits on the top of the channel in the upside down position.

Someone suggested using a 6 cylinder steering link because it has less of a drop in the center. I picked one up at Memory Lane in LA but it was identical to the 340 link. I tried lowering the motor mounts by opening the base holes by 1/2" but that didn't work either.

Any other ideas????

There is only a difference of center links between /6s and V8s on the early a-bodies. The '67 up a-bodies only had on style of link. I saw in the Mopar Chassis manual were they show shimming the steering box and filing a slot on only one of the idler arm mounting tabs to raise or lower the center link. Might that a try it sounds like you don't need much.

Chuck

I meant pull a 180* flip left to right and then flip it over. Just a thought

9secSmallBlock said:
I meant pull a 180* flip left to right and then flip it over. Just a thought
9 SEC YOU ARE RIGHT, I HAD TO DO THAT IN MY 69 GTS, HAD SOLID MOUNTS IN IT THOUGH, DONT KNOW IF THAT MATTERS??, BUT BOY OH BOY WATCH PULLING IN TO MCDONALDS! YOU CAN RUIN THAT PAN IN A HEART BEAT, THEY SURE DO LOOK GOOD FROM THE FRONT THOUGH.

-
Back