Mini starter issue with slant 6

-

Joe Boffman

Reaction score
Hi buddies!

A few years ago, my starter died, and now that I'm trying to make run again my duster, I bought a mini starter, but I have a problem and I can't figure if it's possible to solve it. The pinion of the new starter it's different to the old one, apparently has different diameter and number of teeth.

Anybody has have that problem? Here are some photos of the starters

tmwnDu.jpg

Mo4dgl.jpg

CORcHW.jpg

RxdsSw.jpg

Saludos!

May wish to make your pictures a bit larger, Im having a tough time seeing the details

I can't say for sure but it looks like the first photo is a old direct drive starter.If it is, the mini will bolt right up even though the nose looks sooo different.The last Dart I purchased had the old direct drive.I installed the mini no problem.The wires will be close to the block so you may be careful that you don't have anything touching before hooking the battery back up.

Yeah, the mini starter bolts up right, but don't make turn the flywheel. I make some measurements, and the pinion comes out enough to make contact with the flywheel. I think I'll dissassembly both of the starters to take a close look to the differences between pinions, and try to figure how to solve the issue.

I replaced mine last week. NAPA, for a 95 dodge truck, bolted right on with absolutely no issues. The old slant cranks over much better.

These are the largest pictures I've ever seen on a forum post in my life....lol.

Since you are in Mexico you probably indeed are running a direct drive starter as the pictures indicate. Same as some US trucks and Canadian Fargo's and industrial Slant applications.

I'm pretty certain you can't just swap on a gear-reduction starter because the flywheel is different between the two. So, you'll probably have to get the old Prestolite rebuilt.

Details guys... pay attention to the details in posts.

These are the largest pictures I've ever seen on a forum post in my life....lol.

Since you are in Mexico you probably indeed are running a direct drive starter as the pictures indicate. Same as some US trucks and Canadian Fargo's and industrial Slant applications.

I'm pretty certain you can't just swap on a gear-reduction starter because the flywheel is different between the two. So, you'll probably have to get the old Prestolite rebuilt.

Details guys... pay attention to the details in posts.

Dammit! I was afraid of that. Anyway, I'll try to adapt the bendix of the old one to the mini starter, I hope it works. Thanks buddy!

I don't think it's that simple. I believe the torque converter/ring gear is a different diameter. You can either overhaul the Prestolite or swap in a US torque converter if you are feeling adventurous.

Just for the record, I take apart the bendix of both of the starters and I think it's possibly to make work the mini starter with the bendix of my old starter, but that will require some work of a machinery shop, and that will be more expensive than the cost of the starter. Otherwise, overhaul my old starter will lead to the same situation, because the actuator was broken and it's quite expensive. The best decision will be search another starter that fits to my car, without any problem.

Thanks everybody!

-
Back