Mini starter issue

-

akrateffil

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for any tips to installing a mini starter on my 69 440 w/727. I bought a mini starter for my Barracuda. When I tried to install it, the dang gone thing hits against the block keeping the bolt holes from lining up. I bought it off of fleabay to save a buck, it may have bit me doing so. Is my only option to return it, or is there any tricks to make it fit?
Thanks,
Andy

Check to see if there are any bosses on the block. Seems to me different years had excess material in the starter area. I did have to grind on a block for starter clearance but don't remember what year or size 440,400,318,etc.

Just about every after market starter is have used needed to be filed to fit , just get a good file and and remove the material , it should take 3/8 of an inch to clear it

Does it have the small block extension terminal on it? They can hit the block and the holes don't line up. I've always used a small block starter and taken off the extension for my big blocks.

It had the small block extension terminal on it. I removed them and it fell into place, and the world is at peace again.
Thanks everyone for the help.

dang, I forgot about removing that. Glad you did.

The terminal on mine is very close. VERY..

If you are using TTI headers i'd make sure that it is as short as possible. If there was some other provision possible like a remote quick conect you might want to look into it.

-
Back