Mini Starter Problem

-

rymanrph

Reaction score
So I just got new Doug's headers for my 360/727 and picked up a mini starter from a '97 Dakota with the 318, but I have a problem. The starter fits fine on the bell housing and there are no clearance problems with the header, but why don't I have any engagement at all with the flywheel?

1D15B733-EEA0-46A7-8F7F-5AF661CEE062_zpsrfak1too.jpg

Have you tried to start it? The drive should come out to the flywheel .IT won't be in the flywheel all the time . Hope this helps

I'm far from starting it; I just dropped the motor in the car and have a lot of things left to do before then. I guess I really hadn't thought much about it, but it wouldn't make sense for the starter to be engaged with the flywheel at all times. When the starter is used, does the gear move out to engage the flywheel?

Yes that's how it works. Starter spins and gear engages flywheel gear an turns engine over.

If the gear was always toothed against the flywheel, it would always be spinning when the engine is running, which would burn out the starter.
When you engage the starter, the gear comes out and grabs the flywheel, then disappears back into the starter.
You can ground a starter on a battery (-) and then use a jumper to the (+) and watch the gear come out and spin. That's a quick way in a wrecking yard to test a starter.

-
Back