Mini Starter

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post to one thank everyone on the board for posts on the smaller newer type starters, what years to look for etc.

Have a '71 Dart that currently has a 225 slant 6 in it. Found a starter at the local self serve salvage yard off of a 1988 Dodge Diplomat with a 318. Looked under and there was the starter I was looking for. So, about $15 later I was on the way home with it. Stopped and had it tested at the local Auto Zone. Works perfect.

Cleaned it up today and mounted it in place of the huge stock one. Bolted right up. The electrical connections ended up on top and easy to get to although somewhat angled towards the engine.

My electrical connections were in a preformed cable end that has the large hot wire and the start wire in the same plastic insulator. All I had to do to make it reach the new starter location was to remove the cable from a fender wiring loop holder and twist the battery cable so the wire was pointing more towards the back of the car. My car has a plastic wire holder that has a tube on the other end of it as well. I popped this tube part over the shock stud and all is set.

Hooked the battery neg back up, got in the car and zoom started right up. Nice easy upgrade.

As a note, looks like the starter I got had been replaced at some time. Had a date code on a sticker of 10 01 so assume October 2001. Also the part number on the sticker was 12072. Found the number on the Checker/Kragen/Parts America site as the starter for an '88 Diplomat.

Anyway, works great! Thanks for the info.

Cheers

-
Back