Mini Tub Help

-

MOPARTEEN

Reaction score
Hey guys, Me and my dad are thinking about mini tubbing my 70 dart. We understand we need to cut off the wheel well and we are going to insert a 3 inch piece of metal in the well in order to gain clearance all the way to the frame. But what we are not sure of is the spring relocation. Should we pay a professional to do it or can we do it ourselves. When you move the leaf spring mounting plate on the body does it have to be MIG welded or TIG welded? and also do the shocks need to be replaced with longer/shorter ones or can we use the existing? Lastly, if we do it by oursleves is thier a way to determine the proper angle of the that connects to the rear end? any help would be appreciated. thanks, rob

Well I can tell you that Mig is good for that type of welding. If you had a Tig that would be ok as well, but most do it your self types are good with a Mig. It is easier to use. Shock position should be unchanged, so they should be fine the way they are. But I don't know about the other question you asked. Sounds like you need a angle finder to measure the pinion. It shoud be about 6-8 degrees if I remember. I never attempted this project on my car, I used a 3/4" offset spring hanger to get a wider tire in my car. I managed a 18"X9.5" wheel with a 265/35/18 tire. Lot less work, just what I was looking for.

i did the spring inboad kit on my 71 dart, and i recomend that you cut the front portion of the rail only half of the inner part of the rail as instructed in the kit and the front hangers can be bolted to the inner holes of the front hangers and just drill the other two holes and use the existing holes on the undercarriage to mount the hanger. as far as the spring plates on the rear, remove one at a time and set the rear on jack stands and re weld the plate the required distance inboard that way the other sping plate will give the correct angle. it was easier for me to buy new spring plates and just replace them. my two cents

-
Back