Minor bubbling on rocker

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
My 72 Duster is pretty solid, but not rust free. Its not showy and thats what I wanted this time. Its had some moderate panel patches (lower quarter and taillight panel) and I see some minor bubbles forming on the rockers- mainly just behind the back of the door. My question is that I'd like to slow down the rust process, and from what I understand, it would be good to get something to seal up the inside of that rocker. Once done, I'll touch up the bubbles on the outside to seal it all up. I've seen some sprays that are advertised for these boxed in areas, and this Eastwood stuff sound perfect (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NTPE9W/?tag=joeychgo-20) but they want around $28 for a 14oz can. I have used Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer in the past and felt like it maybe helped, and could probably spray it inside the rocker? I know some of the rust proofers drill a small hole under the sill plate, I cant remember if our rockers have openings on the bottom like I've seen on other cars, but I may be able to squirt some through them if so and not create an access hole on the top. I've also seen Rust Bullet etc, they seem to be fairly expensive too? ANY and ALL ideas and suggestions appreciated!

In my opinion if it’s to the point where there are bubbles, your best bet is to just cut it out, weld in a new patch, and do some paint touch up...

I'm no expert on bodywork, but I don't think sealing it up is the answer. When cars are manufactured. the rockers have a pinch weld on the bottom, and that pinchweld has channels formed in the stampings before they are welded together, specifically to drain and ventilate these areas. If you seal them up totally, the condensation and other moisture accumulations cannot drain or evaporate away. My point is: by "sealing it up", you can make it worse long term. I've been told the same things, there are no magic bullets, it's best to cut it out, repair it, primer and repaint.

-- In my opinion if it’s to the point where there are bubbles, your best bet is to just cut it out, weld in a new patch, and do some paint touch up...
-- I agree. If You put a grinder to it, it's likely to become a sizeable hole.

-- I agree. If You put a grinder to it, it's likely to become a sizeable hole.
Thanks guys, and yes, I've cut out and welded before, and thats the way to go usually. In my case, its not that bad ''yet' and I'm not ready to do anything that serious. I also was not planning on sealing up the rocker area- and hoped the pinch welds did have the openings mentioned so I can maybe try and spray it out first, then when completely dry, spray the inside to coat it. The Eastwood stuff sounds good as its made to go over rust- like Rust Oleum Rusty Metal primer advertises as well. This car is stored inside for the majority of the year and then taken on a few very short drives in the summer. Hoping someone may have tried any of the other products advertised as rust encapsulators/inhibitors etc.

I just posted this on a other thread here in the body forum. Copied for reference.

I have had exceptional results using Eastwoods inner frame rail paint. It works exactly like they advertise. I have used 6 cans to date on my 74 dart sport, as I used 2 coats in all the frame rails and hard to reach areas. I appreciate how thin the product is so it runs into all the cavities.

Eastwood Internal Frame Coating 14oz Aerosol

I put some weights on the 24" spray tube tostraighten it out as it comes wound up.

20170701_141239.jpg

Stick a magnet on the area, a light refrigerator type, if it does not stick, its already has plastic filler.

What might help is sticking a garden hose in the rocker, and rinsing it out, maybe just full of mud or sand, keeping moisture on the back side.

Then let it dry and then spray some rust converter in there.

I just posted this on a other thread here in the body forum. Copied for reference.

I have had exceptional results using Eastwoods inner frame rail paint. It works exactly like they advertise. I have used 6 cans to date on my 74 dart sport, as I used 2 coats in all the frame rails and hard to reach areas. I appreciate how thin the product is so it runs into all the cavities.

Eastwood Internal Frame Coating 14oz Aerosol

I put some weights on the 24" spray tube tostraighten it out as it comes wound up.

View attachment 1715110545
That Eastwood product looks interesting, I wonder if you can just buy the aerosol tip to accommodate other products? We use an "ID" gun with a 360 degree tip to spray the insides of landing gear parts with a 3' wand. Andrew

Stick a magnet on the area, a light refrigerator type, if it does not stick, its already has plastic filler.

What might help is sticking a garden hose in the rocker, and rinsing it out, maybe just full of mud or sand, keeping moisture on the back side.

Then let it dry and then spray some rust converter in there.

Adamm! Great to hear the Eastwood stuff worked as advertised. It SOUNDED perfect for what I was looking for, now tell me whats the best deal I can get buying that stuff? SIRELAND, yes, I want to make sure the rockers are cleaned out- to prevent any gunk from holding moisture and to make sure the rust sealer adheres. Again, this car is garaged year round and will only be out on a limited basis in summer. I was considering cutting a hole on the top of the rocker under the sill plate so I could spray it out before sealing; not sure the openings at the pinch welds on the bottom will be larger enough to spray in or drain any gunk out?

Rust never sleeps!

It is cancer and unless you remove it, it will spread! Covering it will not work, converting it maybe. I do not prescribe to the what seems likes easy fixes, to good to be true!

Rust never sleeps!

It is cancer and unless you remove it, it will spread! Covering it will not work, converting it maybe. I do not prescribe to the what seems likes easy fixes, to good to be true!
Agreed, but as I have tried to say here, I'm not trying to have a show car here- been there and done that. The car is VERY SOLID where it counts (yes, the rockers DO count too), but I do know that sealing the problem areas from Oxygen on BOTH sides will greatly slow down the oxidation process, and being completely out of the weather all the time will help too.

Agreed, but as I have tried to say here, I'm not trying to have a show car here- been there and done that. The car is VERY SOLID where it counts (yes, the rockers DO count too), but I do know that sealing the problem areas from Oxygen on BOTH sides will greatly slow down the oxidation process, and being completely out of the weather all the time will help too.

Agreed, there are some decent products that slow the natural process. Contain it as best knowing it will not stop. Once the bubbling starts it seems to late yes?

Adamm! Great to hear the Eastwood stuff worked as advertised. It SOUNDED perfect for what I was looking for, now tell me whats the best deal I can get buying that stuff? SIRELAND, yes, I want to make sure the rockers are cleaned out- to prevent any gunk from holding moisture and to make sure the rust sealer adheres. Again, this car is garaged year round and will only be out on a limited basis in summer. I was considering cutting a hole on the top of the rocker under the sill plate so I could spray it out before sealing; not sure the openings at the pinch welds on the bottom will be larger enough to spray in or drain any gunk out?

I actually found the best prices to be on their website when I was looking this summer.

I also used a pressure washer before to clean out the rockers, however I had mine cut open so access wasn't an issue. I was amazed at how much dirt came out!!

I actually found the best prices to be on their website when I was looking this summer.

I also used a pressure washer before to clean out the rockers, however I had mine cut open so access wasn't an issue. I was amazed at how much dirt came out!!
Thanks, yes, I figure they will be pretty dirty. I may drill a hole up top around the sill plate in order to spray it out and make sure the openings at the bottom allow the gunk to drain.

Thanks, yes, I figure they will be pretty dirty. I may drill a hole up top around the sill plate in order to spray it out and make sure the openings at the bottom allow the gunk to drain.
if you're going to drill a hole, why not try a hole big enough for a bore scope, so you can see what your really dealing with, maybe record it if you wish?

I have used Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer in the past and felt like it maybe helped, and could probably spray it inside the rocker? I know some of the rust proofers drill a small hole under the sill plate, I cant remember if our rockers have openings on the bottom like I've seen on other cars, but I may be able to squirt some through them if so and not create an access hole on the top. I've also seen Rust Bullet etc, they seem to be fairly expensive too? ANY and ALL ideas and suggestions appreciated!

I just did this on a B Body. There was a drain hole in the front of the rocker aft of the wheel on the horizontal front of it.
Check there?
I've used Rustoleum RMP for years with good results for this rust stuff.
I like it better than a "coating" which I just feel may hide some continuing problem.
Got a spray gun of some type?
I used a "pressure pot" with a HVLP gun attached and squirted the hell out of it with the car sloping down hill.
It ran out in some seams so I hoped I got it pretty well coated.
Thin it out and do it a couple of times.

-
Back