Mirror Pivot Ball Trick?

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How can I tighten the pivot ball so my driver's rear view mirror stays put? Loctite?
Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks FABO.

Idk what car you are referring to so it might be different. For the rear view mirror just remove the screws holding it on to the roof and on the inside of the mounting base should be a little plate that the backside of the pivot ball rests against. That plate has some screws to hold it in, if you play with the pressure of those, you can tighten up the rear view mirror as much as you like... Ive never had to do anything more than that but I have heard stories of some people complaining that it still wouldn't get tight enough so they would drop a small square of sandpaper between the plate and the pivot ball.
Good luck

If it is the door mirror you are referring to, I put a little bit of crazy glue on the ball. Then rotate it a bit while it dries. It forms some glue 'balls' in there and adds friction to the socket and ball. I did this a few years ago and works good. it still allows you to adjust it. I think I got this tip off this forum somewhere?

Idk what car you are referring to so it might be different. For the rear view mirror just remove the screws holding it on to the roof and on the inside of the mounting base should be a little plate that the backside of the pivot ball rests against. That plate has some screws to hold it in, if you play with the pressure of those, you can tighten up the rear view mirror as much as you like... Ive never had to do anything more than that but I have heard stories of some people complaining that it still wouldn't get tight enough so they would drop a small square of sandpaper between the plate and the pivot ball.
Good luck
That is a great tip, the inside rear view mirror in the 68 Barracuda is really floppy, I just had not taken the time to inquire about the fix, so thanks!

I put three 3/16 SS washers under the spring steel retainer.

Worked great.

That is a great tip, the inside rear view mirror in the 68 Barracuda is really floppy, I just had not taken the time to inquire about the fix, so thanks!

I don`t remember , but there is a way to tighten it up , I did it about 9-10 yrs ago -
When I had a glass shop cut me a new mirror for mine .-----------

How can I tighten the pivot ball so my driver's rear view mirror stays put? Loctite?
Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks FABO.

If you take that ball plate out and lay it on concrete with the indent facing up then smack it a couple of times with a hammer it works great.
No glue, no sandpaper just works like it is supposed to again.
THEN you can use the screws that attach the plate to set your desired tension.

is this a manual mirror or remote?

in a remote mirror, the cable is captive inside much of the mechanism

-
Back