Mirror

-

alwaysamopar

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestrion on how i can tighten this type of mirror? The only way i know how would be to break glass out Tighten Then replace with new mir
mirror.jpg
ror Is this the only way???? Thanks

Not absolutely sure (dusters and demons I'm sure about) but remove the panel on the inside of the door and with the window "up" reach in and up between the inner door skin and the bottom of the window. You're feeling for a stud, that's screwed into the base of the mirror, with a nut on it that can be tightened with a long 3/8" drive adapter and deep socket.

Terry

If it's the same as my '63 there's a kind of circlip holding the glass in

Don't know how you want to tighten it. If you want the mirror assembly tighter on the fender, Demon Seed has the answer; plus the screw on top. If you're wanting to tighten the adjustable portion to the base, remove the mirror from the door and look up in the base. I think there's a mechanism up there similar to the header mount on the interior mirror.

The base is tight to door The mirror is mounted on a ball The ball is solid Thats why im thinkin it would have to be tightened behind the glass therefore having to break glass to get to screws I just dont want to break the glass if i dont have to Thanks Guys

We used to repair the 68-76 Corvette mirrors like this.....
Remove the mirror from the door and soak the whole thing in lacquer thinner overnight. The thinner will soften the adhesive to the point that the glass will be easily removed, but will not damage the silver on the back of the glass. You can then make any necessary repairs behind the glass. To reassemble the glass to the mirror use a suitable 2 part adhesive.

If you don't feel confident to do the repair this way, you can "cheat" and use a center punch and a hammer to "dimple" the rotating ball like this....
Rotate the mirror head all the way up as far as it will go. Then use the center punch and hammer to make a dimple in the round ball. This will raise the material around the punch mark, effectively tightening up the mirror head once the mirror head is rotated back to its original position. This method doesn't always work, and usually will only last for a short time if the mirror head is adjusted repeatedly.

Good Luck!!

George

-
Back