Mis match parts

-

Boduke

Reaction score
Here we go. The red neckary continues. My 72 dart manua brakes came to me with upgraded 73 spindles, uca's, disc brakes and 10" rear drums on 9 1/4 axles. Apparantly the master and prop valve are still 72 for 9" drums. And the brakes worked pissa!! Now the master went bad. When i ordered new (correct for 73) the new one comes 1" bore where as the old was 15/16. Am i going to be ok with the older prop valve. Or, change the prop. Or, go back the the 15/16 master that i had in there. And, where to get correct prop valve.. manual brakes.
Thanks

Here we go. The red neckary continues. My 72 dart manua brakes came to me with upgraded 73 spindles, uca's, disc brakes and 10" rear drums on 9 1/4 axles. Apparantly the master and prop valve are still 72 for 9" drums. And the brakes worked pissa!! Now the master went bad. When i ordered new (correct for 73) the new one comes 1" bore where as the old was 15/16. Am i going to be ok with the older prop valve. Or, change the prop. Or, go back the the 15/16 master that i had in there. And, where to get correct prop valve.. manual brakes.
Thanks
I did a 4 wheel disc conversion on mine I have the factory 73 and up fronts with a Ford 8.8 rear and factory Ford explorer rear disc brakes I went with the Dorman 15/16 so far so good.

I did a 4 wheel disc conversion on mine I have the factory 73 and up fronts with a Ford 8.8 rear and factory Ford explorer rear disc brakes I went with the Dorman 15/16 so far so good.
Master or prop valve? And by prop valve (dist block) i mean this..and can i get that part number?? Please

6FEDCF1C-17BB-4D71-950B-7E3A61E8C5D9.jpeg

Thinking they are the same now. Found this in some old post..

8D6F4CE4-F19E-45E0-B8CE-C28F9A25D58A.jpeg

IIRC up thru 72 the front disc were Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers, the MC (manual brakes) was 1" Dia. (IIRC)
There was a separate dist block and prop valve. The dist block also had the brake warning light in it.

At some point (68,69,70,71,72,73???) they went with a "combo" unit like in the photo of post 3.

IMHO if you have the pre 73 setup complete you are all set. If you have the 73 up you are all set.

Just don't combine the two.

Choose a year and go with it. If your car has 73 up calipers then pick parts for 73 up.

Just my 2 cents

( If I got the switch over year off let me know and I will edit)

Last edited:
IIRC up thru 72 the front disc were Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers, the MC (manual brakes) was 1" Dia. (IIRC)
There was a separate dist block and prop valve. The dist block also had the brake warning light in it.

At some point (68,69,70,71,72,73???) they went with a "combo" unit like in the photo of post 3.

IMHO if you have the pre 73 setup complete you are all set. If you have the 73 up you are all set.

Just don't combine the two.

Choose a year and go with it. If your car has 73 up calipers then pick parts for 73 up.

Just my 2 cents

( If I got the switch over year off let me know and I will edit)

My prop valve or dist block or whatever you call it has the warning light. One piece block with no seperAte parts. Looks exacly like the pic. You think i can run it?
With 73 wheel cylinder/73 calipers and 73 master. The prop is likely from drum brake 72 or disc 73.

im assuming im good because it was working with this setup before my mater bled out. So all im replacing is the master.

Last edited:
In my 1971 manual, they only reference 1 1/32 bore master for everything. And, IIRC, the one piece proportioning valve started in 1970.

Yeah i cant tell about the dist block. Im just gonna run it. When in doubt, run it. If you fail, rebuild it, if you fail again, upgrade it. After further thought, Is not the distribution block simply to allow for a low pressure brake light in the system.??? I think it is.. i don't even think i need it for the brakes to work. This is only my opinion and have no fact to back it up. I def need it for the low pressure brake light (that i have disconnected) to work. Per others and what I have read it is NOT a proportioning valve and applies 50/50 pressure front and back, supporting my claim.

Last edited:
Get an adjustable prop valve
i know this is the solution for the best possible braking. But i Prefer to keep it as simple as possible. Im gonna use the unknown dist block (72 9" four wheel manual drum i supect) with 73 calipers/73 master 1.0" bore and 73 10" rear wheel cylinders o.906" bore.
.. prior to master going out, i had 72 15/16 bore master/73 front calipers/72 15/16 10" rear wheel cylinders and brakes worked fine. Im sorry for overthinking this. Im just overly analytical. I like to blueprint my setups and it turns init word vomit. I will post back with result as my parts will be here today. Just need to find another person to help me pump bleed.

Maybe i take it apart for $hits and gigs.

DAC1BA17-1BD3-4BD7-8B28-CD7DDAA9A92B.jpeg

Update: i swapped the old 72 15/16 master for 73 1" bore. .way beefier unit. I kept the 72 wheel cylinders at 15/16. 72 dist block and 73 calipers. Brakes work fine. While wont throw you through the dash. Perfectly acceptable.. mx match parts work fine

-
Back