Mis-matched parts

-

sireland67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I am attempting to align a set of doors and hinges, on my 73 duster.
The doors and hinges are off a 75 duster.
I can get them to push close easy, but the striker will not pull the doors in close enough to the body.
With the strikers all the way "in" both doors are about 1/8" from the 1/4 panels.

The question I have is there any difference between 73, 75 doors regarding, strikers, door latch, hinges, and the actual doors them selves.

The door hinges off the 75 are rebuilt.
75 doors clean rust free.

Is there a diffrence in door latches?
Both sides are aligning with the same issues.

Thanks

Guys,
I am attempting to align a set of doors and hinges, on my 73 duster.
The doors and hinges are off a 75 duster.
I can get them to push close easy, but the striker will not pull the doors in close enough to the body.
With the strikers all the way "in" both doors are about 1/8" from the 1/4 panels.

The question I have is there any difference between 73, 75 doors regarding, strikers, door latch, hinges, and the actual doors them selves.

The door hinges off the 75 are rebuilt.
75 doors clean rust free.

Is there a diffrence in door latches?
Both sides are aligning with the same issues.

Thanks

Is the (metal, nylon, plastic, rubber or what ever you call it) on the striker posts? Are they worn/loose/sloppy if they are there?

images

doors are supposed to interchange from 73-75-- the glass mounting changed in 74 sometime.

do you have the front hinges tight? try loosening & see what happens.
how new is your weather strip?

blue = 74
brown =73
Lawrence

Attachments

• 74parts (29) (Small).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 74parts (24) (Small).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 74duststuff (83) (Medium).jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 74duststuff (75) (Medium).jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 201
I had the door on my 74 Duster that I couldn't get to close tight. Adjusted on the striker pin/bolt. Took it to the body man & he fixed it in a jiffy. Pin/bolt was in too far, he just loosened it and backed it out a bit and it was fine.

Is the (metal, nylon, plastic, rubber or what ever you call it) on the striker posts? Are they worn/loose/sloppy if they are there?

images

I am pretty sure that is the problem with the passenger side door, the insulator (rubber?) is shot.
The drivers side is still intact.

Where can you purchase these new, I have looked around and can't seem to find them.

doors are supposed to interchange from 73-75-- the glass mounting changed in 74 sometime.

do you have the front hinges tight? try loosening & see what happens.
how new is your weather strip?

blue = 74
brown =73
Lawrence

That what I thought that they all interchange, the odd thing is with the doors aligned, the stricker wants to be all the way in and all the way up.

I have loosend and moved the hinges to where there is no binding, and the door gaps are good.

I had the door on my 74 Duster that I couldn't get to close tight. Adjusted on the striker pin/bolt. Took it to the body man & he fixed it in a jiffy. Pin/bolt was in too far, he just loosened it and backed it out a bit and it was fine.

Yes I have moved the striker pin out and the door just shuts farther out.

I'll ask? was your 73 ever in an accident? do you have your 73 doors to check against?

maybe you have an early build car --that some minor tweak was made later.

wonder if the door latches are the same?

I have those 73 doors -- if some close -up measurements need to need to be made, Lawrence

I'll ask? was your 73 ever in an accident? do you have your 73 doors to check against?

maybe you have an early build car --that some minor tweak was made later.

wonder if the door latches are the same?

I have those 73 doors -- if some close -up measurements need to need to be made, Lawrence

Yes mine is an early 73 build car, like july or august, I dont remember right off hand.
Yes this car has been in an accident, I need to change the radiator support, it is a twisted up mess.
Also both inner fenders have some kinks in them, so I will replace them also.
I took the original doors off, so I may need to check them real close, they did open and close with the stricker in the center of the adjustment, the door hinges on both were just plain wore out, but they still aligned decent.

I think at this point, I at least need to hang the fenders on the front of the car and see if I have something totally out of whack with the alignment between the fenders and doors.

I did find that year one sells repo door strikers for $20.00 so I will order a set of them.

-
Back