Missile's Front Wheel Openings

-

blue missile

Reaction score
Here are the before and after of the front wheel openings.
For those who have been following the discussion between RJ and myself here is my solution to our common problem.
The before is of the passengers side and the after is of the drivers side.
Andrew

Weel opening #1.jpg

Wheel opening #2.jpg

Wheel opening #3.jpg

Wheel opening #5.jpg

Wheel opening # 6.jpg

Never hered of any one streching the front wells before. Putting tall tiers on the front? You did a nice job though. Good work.

You know I thought the same thing, but the wells are the stock width. all I did was raise the opening 2". Check out the pics and you can see where I cut and moved the top edge. It does look like they are extra long though.
The reason I and Rj have to do this is that when the wheel is turned hard there is less than 1/2" clearance to the lip of the opening
Andrew

Are you doing this to put 29'' tall tires on your car? I was going to do that to my duster untill I put on a set without my fenders on and found out that my turning radious was Drastically cut down. Looks like nice work tho

Right on......looks like that will do the trick.

I am widening mine rather than raising them. Fitting wide fronts at a low ride height is the reason to do the work.

I have 235 60 15's on the front of my duster,I did a pie slice front and rear and took out about 3/4 of an inch at the fronts and about 5/8" at the rear to accomodate the bigger tires

currently the OD is 26" I plan to run no more than 27" up front. As of now I will be running 16" torque thrust up front and 18" in back. the tires will be
T/A KDWs
245/50 ZR16 up front @ 26.7" x 10.9 wide
and on the rear 285/40ZR18 @ 27"x 11.5 wide since its minitubbed I will not have to deal with the exterior sheet meta for these.
Andrew
RJ I thought yours were hitting at the top the same way mine were?

They are hitting at the top edge when turned, like yours. I am gonna swap to a Duster front lip and move it out, not up. I want the edges of the quarters and fenders to look the same as well as be at the same height in relation to the tire/wheel. Mine would fit now at about an inch higher ride height, but I am committed to the slammed, road racer look. OCD......I know.

The way you did it, you probably can bump up to a 275mm tire in front........total rallye, mad max looking. I originally wanted 275's and maybe will when i start hacking up the fenders, the beauty of 3pc wheels is I can change the size relatively cheap

I thought I would post a pic with the whels straightened up, it looks much better in this position.

RJ,
I know everyone is saying mad max when it comes to this build, I think thats because of the flat black primer. But the end result will be a show stopping paint job that will , I think, change a lot of peoples minds.
By the way I don't think you'll get a lot of clearance from the changeover but I don't know.
Andrew

Wheel opening #7.jpg

Have you guys considered running a radius from the wheel hub to give a road racer/NASCAR look?

I thought I would post a pic with the whels straightened up, it looks much better in this position.

RJ,
I know everyone is saying mad max when it comes to this build, I think thats because of the flat black primer. But the end result will be a show stopping paint job that will , I think, change a lot of peoples minds.
By the way I don't think you'll get a lot of clearance from the changeover but I don't know.
Andrew

Andrew, I am not knockin your build at all.......I dig it. Are you getting your tires/wheels soon?

I will gain the tire clearance, but it will probably take me 4 fenders to do it.

RJ,
I know you of all people are not knocking the build, and I am not put off by the Mad Max comments at all. Im hoping that when the build is done that gasoline will be more available than Max had to deal with:-D

My comment on the fenders was based on the fact that our frames are the same and you said you hoped to get more space switching over to a duster fender. which is what I had to deal with.

As far as those of you that cant figure out where the build is going, It wont have a thousand horse power (God that video was great) and it wont do the speed of sound, but Im not ruling out light speed:glasses5: or maybe upside down in the tunnel
Andrew

RJ,
I know you of all people are not knocking the build, and I am not put off by the Mad Max comments at all. Im hoping that when the build is done that gasoline will be more available than Max had to deal with:-D

My comment on the fenders was based on the fact that our frames are the same and you said you hoped to get more space switching over to a duster fender. which is what I had to deal with.

As far as those of you that cant figure out where the build is going, It wont have a thousand horse power (God that video was great) and it wont do the speed of sound, but Im not ruling out light speed:glasses5: or maybe upside down in the tunnel
Andrew

Oh, oh. Something radical is coming.

-
Back