missing car title

-

demon ed

Reaction score
hello a good buddy of mine just picked up 76 z28 with 47k on it but there is no title for it the guy he works with has had it since 1981 he bought it from a guy that got killed the next day in a bike crash so he never got the title he calls the dmv and finds out the that there is a title for it but says rebuilt on it and it does not have a persons name its a insurance company name on it the car looks like it had a new quarter and door put on it so it was most like totaled by the insurance company and then sold and rebuilt whats the best way to get a new title i dont think he should call the insurance my be they might want it back since its still in there name and its a nice car almost mint the last time its seen light was 1985 its been coverd up since thks ed

I know there are alot of ways of getting a title.

What I usually do is take it to a legal tow yard or perhaps a salvage yard. They put a lein on it, and contact the owner. If they do not want it, then I buy the car from the yard for a fee.

Obviously the risk would be that they may want it back and you would be out of a car.

There are many ways to get a title, any many are pretty gray.....

I don't much care for gray myself.

FWIW-ROB

probably a gray way but it might work. put it on his property or mine(wink lol) and let it just sit for i think here it is 3 months on private property. since ita an insurance company they wont come looking for it. then call it abandoned vechicle and you can apply for the title. its kinda a wierd process but my boss got me a camaro like that:) the guy had us work on it then never came to pick it up so he got the title. look intro the rules more but it could pbly work. i think having it on a busisness property takes less time but thats if you own a busisness

I should add that I don't think the insurance company would want it back.

Now there may be some fees involved etc. but I doubt they'd want it back.

If they play hardball, I suppose your pal could charge storage for 30 years or whatever......

ROB

Every state has different rules for filing for an "abandoned title".

I would research the requirements for your state....Good luck

since dmv knows it has a title i think he has a parts car.

I got a title from Broadway Title I think in Alabama.. $139. Its on the internet. It was a piece of cake to get it. took 3 weeks.

Have you buddy at the salvage yard send the Ins Co and bill for storage and if they don't want it tell em to sign off on the title. $30 a day storage is a lot of money that they wont want to pay.

I had to pay a ton of money to do this with my car recently. But here in Washington you can use a "donor vehicle". And then pay a crap load of money to the State patrol for a Vin tag for the title of the donor vehicle. But you have to have a title to a vehicle that is exactly like the car. And it cannot be stolen or anything else. It was a pain in the butt, but with about $750.00 or so I got it done. My car is legally in my name with a title and a vin.

-
Back