Mixture Adjust on a Carter 4608S

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Hey guys, the black 73 318 Duster i bought a few weeks ago, decided to have a attitude and start running like garbage the other day.

Having a feedback carb on it didnt help matters, dont know why it was on there, and having a loose distributer hold down didnt help either.

Got it timed and gave the poor, neglected car a tune up and got a Carter 4608S carb off a 73 Dodge truck and rebuilt it, timed it at about 5 degrees before and now it runs pretty good.

I have a tach on order, but for the time being, can anyone tell me roughly the mixture screw settings, how many turns out roughly, on the carb, no emissions on the car at all, it idles at about 6-700 rpm,

I have it close i think, although i can smell it going down the road, smells rich, but at idle in park it seems lean.

Set it to 15 degrees before and use a vacumn guage to set the mixture screws,and run the idle at 750-850rpm.Do not use the vacumn hose to the distributor,and see if the total timing comes to 32-68 degrees at 2500rpm,if you have a timing tape on the dampener or a dial in timing light.After the intial settings,road test for pinging or hard starting,if either one occours,back off timing 2 degrees at a time to get proper starting or no pinging,mrmopartech
Or email me your number to walk you through the tuning curve.

-
Back