mixture?

-

scampy72

Reaction score
hi all my scamp is running real rich right now, you can really smell the gas out the exhaust. my question is how do i change the mixture to lean it out? its a 225 with a single barrel. any help is appreciated. thanks.

Did this occur all of a sudden or was it like that before? Great info (repair manuals and videos) over at slantsix.org
Frank

no its slowly been getting worse for a while and my exhaust pipe just broke so i guess im noticing it a bit more cause it broke right next to the drivers side window which is always open.

I would check the needle and seat. May have gotten some trash up from the tank.Have you gone over to .org yet and looked at the manuals and repair videos? Could also have a partial sunk float.
Frank

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread.

thanks guys, havent gone yet, just got to check the post due to work. ill look into the vids though thanks.

hi all my scamp is running real rich right now, you can really smell the gas out the exhaust. my question is how do i change the mixture to lean it out? its a 225 with a single barrel. any help is appreciated. thanks.

Use a vacuum gage with a T fitting from the carb, adjust the timing for 21 in. vacuum, lean the carb until it just barely runs and then increase the idle speed until you reach 21 in. vacuum again. This is the ballpark for your engine running it's best, you can play with adjustments from there. This a default setting, I don't rely solely on timing guns when I'm tuning either as dampers have been known to slip over the years with high mileage.

kay so how do i lean it out to try that?
I was taught by an old mechanic, (he had the "ear" to know exactly) on the engine side of your carb at the base of the carb is the fuel metering screw, turn it to the right until the engine slows and just starts to spit and sputter. Go back to the drivers side and increase the idle speed until you get to the 21 in. vacuum vicinity. you may have to adjust the distributor a little again to compensate for the lower fuel ratio. Continue this round robin until you come to an agreeable idle (don't forget to manually gun it from time to time to around 2000 to 2400 RPM to insure you are running good at all speeds) put it in gear from time to time to make sure it is doing what you want it to. When you are finally satisfied, lock everything down. Take it for a test drive, and fully expect that you may be fine tuning a few more times to come, then comes the onset of winter... you may have to fiddle a little bit more. I'ts an old car, show her some love! P.S.- A spray bottle of plain water sprayed in the carb at high RPM clears carbon.:love7:

-
Back