MMW Indy vs. St. Louis

-

APK

Reaction score
Anyone who went to Monster Mopar Weekend in Indy 2011, how did Monster Mopar Weekend in St. Louis 2012 compare?

I thought the St Louis show was good but the crowds were down from previous years. The event staff were great and helpfull. I was in the swap meet area with a 68 Fury 4dr for sale. There were several open swap spaces that used to be full and the show field wasn't as full, but the quality of the cars was awesome. The pit area for racing was packed though. I hope the show keeps coming back. It was a fun family weekend.

I've wasn't at the Indy show last year, and this was my first year in St. Louis but here is my overall take on the show. I think the show was great and had a good turnout despite the other events that were going on at the same time. I know the Kansas City area had a local Mopar show and the Power Tour was also going on. I think that may have hurt the overall turn out a little bit. I have to commend Josh King and his staff as I couldn't even imagine the amount of planning and preparation that had to go on to make this happen. I'm glad the event is back close to home and that I had an opportunity to be a part of it.

One trend I did notice is that people didn't even try to negotiate or haggle on parts. They would ask a price and after you tell them something they would just walk away. You had to poke and prod them to even get an offer, and then they wanted it for nothing. I've been around swap meets a long time, and I realize that everyone wants a deal, but I think this is the worst I've ever seen it.
The other thing I personally think hurt the swap meet area was the fact that spectators had to park clear on the opposite side of the park from where the swap meet was. The spectator parking was on the west side of the drag strip and the swap meet was in the center of the oval track. I don't know how they've done it before but to me the fact that you have to park so far away is going to hurt most people's chance of selling large items. I know the local swap meets have tractors with trailers going around all day to transport large items for people.

Overall it was a great experience and I'll definitely be back. I've just got to figure out what the current trend is that year to hopefully sell some more stuff. :)

I was there on Saturday only, thought the Car Show and Drag Strip was good. Glad to see Mopar Muscle Magazaine, Mopar Collectors Guide Magazine, Mr. Norm, and the other vendors. But I was disappointed that there was not more "mopar" related vendors. No YearOne, No Display from the Chrysler Corp., I was hoping someone with FABO would have tent.

I didn't get an event T-Shirt, did not like the design. I saw some people wearing the 2010 event shirt and it was better.

I have never been to the Carlisle All-Chrysler Nationals, but I was hoping that this event would similar.

You can't compare this show to the ones in previous years, there were just too many things that effected the turnout and attendance.

As far as the swap, it's always been a great turnout and the spectator parking has not been an issue before, but it was only a fraction of what it has been in previous years. I did notice a lot of venders were unrealistic on their prices, I think they forgot that prices have gone down in recent years and the economy is in the toilet. Sorry to any of you Venders, but I've set up at swap meets for years and I seen B-Body auto consoles priced at $450 that needed work, sorry, but if they don't see whats wrong with that then they deserve to take everything back home with them.

Here is what I posted on another thread,

It wasn't a bad weekend considering the date change and the concentration on Indy last year. BUT Monster Mopar is more than a drag race and I feel the show/swap portion wasn't given the attention it deserved and it showed by it's turnout and the number of venders and show cars. I also didn't hear one commercial on the radio or see any on TV like I have in previous years.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, especially since I took home a first place trophy, but several show participants had the same thoughts about the show/swap portion as I did, I didn't even get my dash plaque when I got there and I was later told they ran out? not sure how they ran out before Friday at 8:30am when I got there? I just hope the show can be brought back to it's former glory it has had for the last 25+ years in St. Louis.

I think if everyone explains their legitimate concerns, Monster Mopar can become better than it ever has, but you will never please everyone.

Went to Indy last yr. won't go back ,attendence was not great because of weather,{ likely} swap meet was small, one swap vendor was really {TOTALY } rude ,jumped his buddy for trying to make a good deal for me,and took the part away ,buddy didn't know what to say.
IT'S A SWAP MEET not Walmart, finding a deal that is good for you and the vendor is the fun part .I have been a vendor many times and have made exceptions to make a sell even loose money for parts I don't need or just help out someone. It's a hobby and fun ,not my living,I like the haggle, good for gas money or more parts . Not many Manuf.vendors . In the race pit most racers were nice I talked to.Better deals in the pits .For a 5hr. drive I was dissapointed.
:wack:
In the past St. Louis has been pretty awesome lots more show cars ,much bigger swap meet,race pit packed. I had to miss St. Louis this yr.. I hope it grows back to it's former self ! :happy1:
. You may not agree but have you been to St. Louis before ?

-
Back