Moby on a diet......

-

bschubarg

Reaction score
2018-05-26 12.40.00.jpg

Adhering to the advice of others you said to get the most of a 318 also includes a diet. My '87 Fifth Ave which had a curb weight of 3750# is currently 3450#(measured) after a substantial diet.

The above picture is yet another 30#s removed. I don't have any power rear windows now but hell, rarely do I have passengers anyways.... :)

2018-05-05 12.03.20.jpg

I wonder if you could shed some weight by changing out the rims?
(Not really, I just don't like them)

I wonder if you could shed some weight by changing out the rims?
(Not really, I just don't like them)

Ha! Ford hater eh?.... :)

I paid $200 for the rims and tires with about 85% wear. Couldn't pass that deal....However since I am a big fan of Power to Weight ratio... I do have plans on changing the heavy wheels. Each wheel with tire weigh in at 48 lbs.

Bet you didn't know that I am also running a Toyota alternator... Weight Savings....

No, it's not because they belong on a ford (didn't even know until you just mentioned it)
I just find them ugly, and too modern
(Too big, and way too much backspacing)

(edit, just saw it does have 5 spokes, not sure why i thought 6 before)

Last edited:
Those era 5th Avenues & Diplomats can surprise you. Especially if some shoved a decent HP ranged 340 in them. I never thought about putting my Diplomat on a diet, I was having way too much fun showing some of the Mustangs & Camaros of that era my tail lights.

Those era 5th Avenues & Diplomats can surprise you. Especially if some shoved a decent HP ranged 340 in them. I never thought about putting my Diplomat on a diet, I was having way too much fun showing some of the Mustangs & Camaros of that era my tail lights.

Exactly... But I have to compete with the 'Stangs and Camaros of this era.... ;)

Toss two of those headlights and fit some air intakes, Demon Style. Mucho respect if you toss two headlights on the same side. That'd be trick.

You can probably shed another 50 pounds in trim and Landau roof.

Toss two of those headlights and fit some air intakes, Demon Style. Mucho respect if you toss two headlights on the same side. That'd be trick.

You can probably shed another 50 pounds in trim and Landau roof.

I soo thought about shedding the landau top.... but think of it.... a four door sedan with a landau top and a hood ornament taking on the stock Mustangs and Camaros in a straight line....

I wouldnt toss the bumpers on a street car. A lot of bracing can be removed elsewhere on the car.

Don't forget to remove the brakes...all they do is add weight and slow you down

I wouldnt toss the bumpers on a street car. A lot of bracing can be removed elsewhere on the car.

God no! The bumpers stay, just lighten. Took the front bumper from 42# lbs to 30#. Will do the same for the rear. As of now I managed to remove 51# lbs and by the end of day I expect another 10-12# lbs for a total of ~60#. Eddy heads are on their way for an additional 50# lbs for a grand total of 110# lbs. That should make for a couple of tenths in the 0-60(guess).

My goal is to get a curb weight of <3350# in a four door sedan. I will never come close to a Valiant, Duster or Baracuda with out going to Lexan or fiberglass fenders but like you said this is a street car. Car started out as 3750# lbs. If I can shave off ~400#lbs, that would be significant. Stock 'Stangs and Camaros curb weight is ~3850-3950 lbs. Challengers are over 4100 lbs.

Hood ornament stays.....

After removing rear seat and sound deadener along with other incidentals I managed 94# lbs savings... haven't touched the rear bumper yet.... ran out of Acetylene….. On my way to <3350 lbs.....maybe a wee bit more....

Hood ornament stays.....
YEEESSSS!!

Headers , if you don't already have them will lighten the load.
The driver's seat. I know I'm treading in sacred territory. But, the power seat/armrest weighs a bunch. Hate the look of racing seats, though. Not sure of a practical way to reduce weight there and still retain the luxury look.
Also, I"ve heard of people removing the frame from under the hood.
Aluminum radiator??

Sounds like a fun project.:popcorn:

My barracuda fastback weighs 3300 without me. With 3 gallons of fuel

View attachment 1715180114

Adhering to the advice of others you said to get the most of a 318 also includes a diet. My '87 Fifth Ave which had a curb weight of 3750# is currently 3450#(measured) after a substantial diet.

The above picture is yet another 30#s removed. I don't have any power rear windows now but hell, rarely do I have passengers anyways.... :)

View attachment 1715180115
More weight removed... 94# lbs + 20# lbs = 114# lbs.
2018-06-02 16.38.12.jpg
2018-06-02 16.40.40.jpg

Curb weight should be ~3330 lbs.....

-
Back