Modern V/8's

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
With Chrysler dropping the hemi and offering some turbo charged V/6. GM is designing a new V/8 engine for the vette and its still gasoline powered, Ford is making improvements on their V/8 for the mustang. Is Chrysler getting out of the performance scene ? I'm not talking about the electric version of the challenger. It just seems odd that the other 2 are building performance engines and electric options for their cars. What happened to Chrysler building a 426 hemi challenger. And supposedly they are dropping the chargers as well. Makes me think that Chrysler doesn't think that they can compete with the new offerings from Ford and GM. With Ford announcing that they are going to continue to offer a V/8 for the next 5 - 8 years and GM the same, so I have read and heard . I think that Chrysler not having any V/8 offering is not good.

They will still have performance oriented products. The turbo version of the Hurricane I6 puts out around 500hp. A worthy successor to the 225 /6 if ever there was one.

"don't think they can compete" ......
Hardly. They chase the market demands and government regulations. Car companies don't make cars, they make money. Period.

500hp (net) anything is actually a worthy successor to the legendary 426 Hemi factory under rated at 425hp (gross).

IIRC they plan to have several crate versions up to 1000hp.

500hp (net) anything is actually a worthy successor to the legendary 426 Hemi factory under rated at 425hp (gross).

IIRC they plan to have several crate versions up to 1000hp.
500 horsepower at what outrageous rpm's?

"don't think they can compete" ......
Hardly. They chase the market demands and government regulations. Car companies don't make cars, they make money. Period.
The other 2 manufacturers have the same regulations, it's that Chrysler has chosen not to have a v8

Remember, Stellantis is not Ma Mopar. They are an international manufacturing group, looking at a worldwide picture- they're trying to homogenize all their product lines and make them viable in all markets across the globe to keep design and production costs down and profits up. Therefore, what we will get is what the minimum requirement will be in the strictest sales environment on the planet. A handful of gearheads in the US don't amount to a hill of beans on a global scale; and if you think GM and Ford aren't following similar courses, then I've got a bridge I want to sell ya. The Corvette is going EV, as is the Mustang; there will be some overlap of ICE and EV models, but not for very long. Hell, Ford even made it known that they're trending away from auto production to focus on trucks. What does that tell you, that autos are dead? No, just that manufacturers are refocusing, gradually.
Right now, they're all just going for one last ICE hurrah, just for bragging rights and an asterisk in their history. Be glad for what we're getting in the process. The only saving grace is that as the practical shortcomings of an EV-only market manifest themselves, ICE will keep getting a stay of execution- dates have already been pushed back repeatedly. If the market keeps pushing back, expect to see internal combustion to stick around a lot longer than the original estimates provided by pie-eyed do-gooders and opportunists.

500 horsepower at what outrageous rpm's?

They can put the power peak wherever they want by sizing and tuning the turbocharger system. This article should answer most of your questions:

Stellantis Whips Up a 500-HP Hurricane

My opinion mirrors @Professor Fate 's. Automakers don't know what's on the horizon with regulations and customer demands. Realistically it'll take a lot longer to go "full EV" than governments and climate loonies want us to (who, big surprise, have little to no actual technical knowledge and expertise). It's become a huge issue on LinkedIn, it's gotten really bad with EV zealots (usually with a sales, marketing etc. background) claiming it'll save the world and the actual engineers and scientists doing their best to call out the bullshit and explain the realities of not only EV adoption but emissions and environmental efforts overall.

Remember, Stellantis is not Ma Mopar. They are an international manufacturing group, looking at a worldwide picture- they're trying to homogenize all their product lines and make them viable in all markets across the globe to keep design and production costs down and profits up. Therefore, what we will get is what the minimum requirement will be in the strictest sales environment on the planet. A handful of gearheads in the US don't amount to a hill of beans on a global scale; and if you think GM and Ford aren't following similar courses, then I've got a bridge I want to sell ya. The Corvette is going EV, as is the Mustang; there will be some overlap of ICE and EV models, but not for very long. Hell, Ford even made it known that they're trending away from auto production to focus on trucks. What does that tell you, that autos are dead? No, just that manufacturers are refocusing, gradually.
Right now, they're all just going for one last ICE hurrah, just for bragging rights and an asterisk in their history. Be glad for what we're getting in the process. The only saving grace is that as the practical shortcomings of an EV-only market manifest themselves, ICE will keep getting a stay of execution- dates have already been pushed back repeatedly. If the market keeps pushing back, expect to see internal combustion to stick around a lot longer than the original estimates provided by pie-eyed do-gooders and opportunists.
How long do you think that the ice has left? I read the other day that it very well could be 15 - 20 years

I agree with this from a business standpoint, but.....they sure do like marketing to the gearheads here in the US.

I agree with this from a business standpoint, but.....they sure do like marketing to the gearheads here in the US.
You bet they do! Look at all the "Last Call" models they've been dropping in our laps- where else can you guarantee a sold-out production run of vehicles just by changing a few cosmetics, giving it a catchy or nostalgic name, and calling it a "limited edition" model? We'll go for it every time!

Yes.
Reality: There is no one alive today that will see the end of oil.
I don't think that they will be able to do away with oil for the simple reason that there are so many things that are made from petroleum, vaseline for one

I don't think that they will be able to do away with oil for the simple reason that there are so many things that are made from petroleum, vaseline for one
Yes you are correct. There are many hard facts on a number of fronts regarding the absolute FANTASY of electrification of the world's fleet of vehicles which numbers in the billions today and grow by millions every year (mostly (ICE). The facts are out there but I'm not going to comment further as this thread may be deemed to be "political" and shut down or moved. I have a decal on my dashboard that states: "Fossil Fuels Are Yummy". This will continue to be true for a long to time to come. Enjoy. No worries.

You have personal experience owning an electric vehicle? Or are you just talking out your ***?
No I don't own one and hopefully I never will. I have friends who have them and hate them especially in the winter time because they freeze their *** off in them. I don't talk out of my ***, either by experience or folks who have them

I believe that crate motors will be around for a long time yet, especially with GM's recent announcement of an $854 million investment in ICE design. Ford has recently launched the 7.3 liter pushrod V8 as a crate motor as well and it seems to make some decent power, somewhere north of 440hp and torque in N/A form.
Like many others here I have no interest in all electric vehicles, unless it's a golf cart.

No I don't own one and hopefully I never will. I have friends who have them and hate them especially in the winter time because they freeze their *** off in them. I don't talk out of my ***, either by experience or folks who have them
As I expected, you have no experience but pretend to know what you’re talking about based on hearsay.

-
Back