Modular helmets

-

67cudafb

Reaction score
Hey looking for opinions on buying new motorcycle helmet. I am getting ready to put my 1981 Suzuki GS1100E back on the road. Been in the garage close to 20 years. So I have to pull the carbs and rebuild, go thru the brakes and such. Any way my ARI helmets have been up in the closet all this time. Pulled them down and liner crumbled all over the floor. So looking for a new lid and ARI were not cheap in 81 but damn must be gold plated now! So I always wore a full face but thinking about a new modular with flip up chin bar. Just looking for some advice on what you guys with bikes are using. Thanks Bill

I'm a big fan of the Shark Evoline. One handed operation. Chin flips all the way back for a sleek non goofy well balanced configuration and you get to keep the visor down even when the chin is flipped back.

Nice bike! I rode a GS1100 for years.

"Cheap" helmets have changed a lot in the last 25 years...
There are lots of Snell approved ones even.
I used to wear nothing but Arai lids, but as you already found out, they're the most expensive ones out there.
In the last 13 or 14 years I've had a number of cheaper helmets that were of excellent quality. HJC being number 1, they are the largest helmet manufacturer in the world. They also manufacture a number of other well known brand names, including Icon and Joe Rocket.
Fit is way better now than cheaper lids used to be (whatever brand you want to name).
Find something that you like the styling and features on that fits you well, and you'll be good to go.
Oh, If you wanna go real old school, Take a look at the Biltwell Gringo S...
Think early to mid '70s BellStar. Total early '70s badass. I picked one up a couple months ago and love it.

View attachment 185.jpg

View attachment 188.jpg

View attachment 190.jpgHere is a couple pics of Suzy. She has been in the garage for years. The Fla humidity has still taken its toll on here. The tread looks good on the tires but sidewalls are dry rotted. I have been out of it so long don't know who make a decent tire anymore. She has Dunlops touring elites on her now. I am sure there is much better sport touring tires out there now. The bad part is this is going to take the little funds I had for the Cuda to get Suzy back on the road. We will see hope to throw a leg over her in the fall:glasses7:

View attachment 1714840216

View attachment 1714840217

View attachment 1714840218Here is a couple pics of Suzy. She has been in the garage for years. The Fla humidity has still taken its toll on here. The tread looks good on the tires but sidewalls are dry rotted. I have been out of it so long don't know who make a decent tire anymore. She has Dunlops touring elites on her now. I am sure there is much better sport touring tires out there now. The bad part is this is going to take the little funds I had for the Cuda to get Suzy back on the road. We will see hope to throw a leg over her in the fall:glasses7:

Suzy is a nice looking girl. I let mine sit for about 10 years when the kids were young. Pulled her back out a few years back. Takes a little cash to get them back on the road safely.. I ride her at least once a week to keep her going. I went with new Dunlops. Decent tire for the price.

Attachments

• Yamaha.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 73
Cool bike..... don't buy cycle tires or tubes made in CHINA....my buddy had one on his bike and the tube blew out after 2 years of use...tube looks like it was rotten and rubber was junk. I have always heard 2 things you don't go cheap when it comes to bikes....tires and helmets.

Cool bike..... don't buy cycle tires or tubes made in CHINA....my buddy had one on his bike and the tube blew out after 2 years of use...tube looks like it was rotten and rubber was junk. I have always heard 2 things you don't go cheap when it comes to bikes....tires and helmets.

I agree on lids and tires. I have had dealings with China bombs on fifth wheel Rv. Did $6000 damage. Thats why looking for recommendation on both:D Thanks to all for response.

-
Back