Molding Clips Early A body

-

djwhog

Reaction score
OK I am about ready to get going on the body work on my 64 Dart. All my trim is in good to very good shape, but ineed to get all new fasterners. There 2 rows of trim that go the length of the car and have little plastic clips every few inches. I need these and all others too.

So where is a good source for all those 100's of clips plastic, metal etc for all the trim that clips on the 64 Dart GT's?

thanks guys and gals!

I got a bunch of the more obscure hardware for my 64 Valiant convert. from Restoration Specialties& Supply, Inc., P.O. Box 328, Windber, PA 15963 www.restorationspecialties.com 814-467-9842 814-467-9282

They actually knew which clips fit by description on a few. I sent samples to match on a few others. Good guys to deal with. Their weatherstrip, seals, and belt weatherstrip are great too!

grimreaper ! I will contact them as a starting point..

OK I am about ready to get going on the body work on my 64 Dart. All my trim is in good to very good shape, but ineed to get all new fasterners. There 2 rows of trim that go the length of the car and have little plastic clips every few inches. I need these and all others too.

So where is a good source for all those 100's of clips plastic, metal etc for all the trim that clips on the 64 Dart GT's?

thanks guys and gals!

I found this old post on the hard to find clips for the dual belt line trim on a 64 Dart GT. Maybe other 64 GT folks will as well.

The trim clips for a pre 1980 VW bug are virtually the same and will work. The part number is 113-853-585C. DON'T BUY THEM AT THE DEALER (for $3 each). Aftermarket (ebay or online) they should cost you $6 to $8 for a bag of 40-50. I think it takes between 70 and 100 to replace all the clips on the double belt line on both sides. The end spears and the end of each length of molding are held on with other clips which use nuts on the inside.

Once you replace the clips, snapping the molding on takes a little finesse. since the molding is single year, hard to find and very visible, be careful.

The molding is roughly a "C" shape. What you are trying to do is get the ends of the C to pop around the clip. Slightly loosening (prying it up after pushing in the expansion pin) the clip from the surface helps. Then work one side of the molding onto the clip. To pop it down requires a stiff tap. Use a plastic shot filled hammer. A wood block might work. The stainless molding is pretty tough. Get up close in a good light and look to see the molding is fully popped in at each clip.

Tricky work and right on your new paint. But, at least you are not paying $300 bucks for clips.

-
Back