Month of manufacter for the door vin

-

70340swinger

Reaction score
Hey all, I am new to posting in the forums. so bare with me. I need some help. I am trying to find out what month and year my 1970 340 swinger was made in so I can get a new door vin decal made. Any help would be great
Thanks

Do you have the fender tag or the build sheet?

The best way to be 100% accurate is have the old sticker. The month on the sticker may not be the same month that appears on the tag or build sheet.

When did they start putting that on an A-body?

Hi guys thanks for the posts. I am sorry to say I have no build sheet or fender tag. Plus to add to the problem the car has been repainted and all the decals have been removed.. I was hoping that there was a list of the darts with the year and month of manufacture. I know from the vin that the car is a 1970 and its a 340

If you do not have that information< fender tag BC sheet then you can not get it the records for 68 and up car were lost in a fire in the Chrysler record archives. The fire itself didn't do that much damage but the water from extinguishing it destroyed the microfilm. You can get a ballpark IF it has the numbers engine it, as the car would certainly be dated after the engine. General rule of thumb is 2 weeks to about 2 months from engine assembly to install. On the right oil pan rail mid engine is a machined pad 1x3 inches with some numbers on it W0XXXXXX it will be the CARs plant of manufacturer (all 70 swingers were built from Windsor Canada eh. The last 6 should match the VINs last 6. If yes, on the left front side of the block where the head mounts to it are some letters and numbers. should start FW340PXXXXXXXX/ what are those numbers?

Even if you had the fender tag & broadcast sheet, there is no way to know the actual build day. The cars were not built in VIN order, occasionally cars close to 30,000 VINs apart were built very close together.

The date on the fender tag & broadcast sheet is the date they hoped to build the car when it was first entered into the system.

The Mylar door stickers were one of the very last things added to the cars before they were driven off the assembly line & per Federal law, they HAD to indicate the actual build month & year. Newer cars, starting late in the 1972 model year (if I remember right) had to use a MDH (Month, Day, Hour) code instead of just the month & year.

The only way to find out is if you post your VIN...then other people with close VIN numbers can let you know what month theirs were built in. With enough info, you can narrow it down.

I'm talking build "month" NOT the day it was built.

understood Barry. It is the "SCHEDULED" production date not necessarily the actual one. However, if a late casting and assembly date June or July that could narrow it down a bit, since the new model year started Aug 1. If an early model year build then not so much.

VIN is not a predictor of when a car was built only scheduled to be. As Barry mentioned there could be a lot of vin numbers in between that were not built in the sequence they were assigned. It would be at best guesstimates.
If the block is original and was cast 6-12-1970 and its assembly date was 6-30-1970 then the car build would come after and would be a July build since the new model year came in Aug 1. Than again it could be July 30 1969 and that would open a up a different can o worms.

The only way to find out is if you post your VIN...then other people with close VIN numbers can let you know what month theirs were built in. With enough info, you can narrow it down.

I'm talking build "month" NOT the day it was built.

I know how they we're build. If you get enough info on known cars then you can narrow down the build month. Barry does it all the time. You can't get the info by looking at a couple cars. You have to have a large database like Barry.

people are a sketchy about giving out there vins and the simple leg work hasn't been done/given out yet. My point was not that you did or didn't know just that there is a current path that requires only him doing a little SELF leg work before compiling and involving other peoples vins in his equation. A process of elimination.

Hey guys thanks again for all the info. I was able to use the info off the block and have found out that this dart was build in May of 1970 thanks again for all the help

-
Back