Moose season is over for another year.

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. We finished on the second morning. Our shooter to a small bull as we were not being picky this year due to extreme weather conditions. Opening day was terrible with high winds and heavy rain. Day 2 wasn't bad with just a little drizzle. The outlook for the rest of the 5 days was terrible with heavy rain yesterday and Hurricane Fiona supposed to hit today and tomorrow. We had a window of one day out of 5. The estimated weight was 423 lbs field dressed. Here is a photo from out in the field. I am behind the camera.

Jack

20220921_092228_06.jpg

I was given a bunch of moose meat when I moved out of my folks house, that kept me fed for almost six months! Same friend that gave it to me, moved out to Montana, and regularly hunts moose out there. I hope to go out there and hunt with him, but I'll let him do the shooting, he's an ace, while I'm most definitely not.

Congrats...i haven't gone for a few years.All the guys i went with are gone or too old. Nothing like coming back to camp on a cold morning with light snow to a warm wood stove and a big breakfast out in the wilderness!

Nice un Jack! I've never had moose before.

Just like Beef Rusty but the meat has a very coarse grain. Now the liver...that is something else. Very very mild and we found that people who didn't even like liver, liked moose liver!
How i miss that wilderness holliday even though it was hard work at times.

I was given a bunch of moose meat when I moved out of my folks house, that kept me fed for almost six months! Same friend that gave it to me, moved out to Montana, and regularly hunts moose out there. I hope to go out there and hunt with him, but I'll let him do the shooting, he's an ace, while I'm most definitely not.
Last year there was 287 bull moose tags available in Montana. Of those, 14 were awarded to non residents out of 2922 applicants.
Don't set your expectations too high. You can thank a wolf for those low numbers.

Last year there was 287 bull moose tags available in Montana. Of those, 14 were awarded to non residents out of 2922 applicants.
Don't set your expectations too high. You can thank a wolf for those low numbers.
I'd just be a spectator, I had heard that getting a job resident tag was next to impossible.

I thank the wolves in northern Minnesota for the lower numbers of deer.

I'd just be a spectator, I had heard that getting a job resident tag was next to impossible.

I thank the wolves in northern Minnesota for the lower numbers of deer.
That would be just as fun. They're gonna put ya to work though. Lol

Looks like the first moose I shot in 2007 in New Hampshire. One thing I learned right away " There's no such thing as a small moose"
Good Job , you have some fine eating ahead.

This was my second moose shot in Newfoundland in 2013

2013 moose.JPG

Last edited:
I LOVE moose meat, but only had it a few times. A big Wisconsin whitetail is 200lbs dressed. That dude has to be 600lbs if it’s an ounce. Enjoy

-
Back