MOPAR Dead?

-

wheelsport

Reaction score
I just watched a disturbing YouTube video about Stellantis and their takeover of Chrysler. For 2024 there are only 2 models. One of them is an Alfa Romeo minivan. No more Hemi-powered Chargers? Will this be the end of our favorite American car manufacturer?

See: and

Far as I'm concerned it was over when Daimler took the reins. Honestly, IMO, it was over for them when they didn't make a RWD pony car for 26 years. Done.

You can't drive to the store without seeing a number of modern Challenges and Chargers. Nothing like the look and sound of an R/T Scat Pak. Damn, I'd own one if I could.

For the life of me i can't understand why they would discontinue those two cash cows. Maybe political pressure???

Almost certainly political.
I almost gave up on them when they only had FWD cars available. I wish they'd bring back the B van just as it was when they discontinued it. Along with the 2 door b body. Not "modernized".

The writing was on the wall when Fiat decided to discontinue all those Mopar Performance parts.

For the life of me i can't understand why they would discontinue those two cash cows. Maybe political pressure???
If you figure it out, please tell me why Ford quit making Econolines!! And yes, thousands of good workers in Ohio are waiting for that answer.

So the only thing to keep them alive will be Jeep and Ram. The 5.7 with the cam and lifter problems was a reason P.D.' s didn't like the Charger's, they couldn't idle due to lack of lubrication, and Police cars do a lot of idling. And it was bad enough with the timing chain problems, so the new Hemi didn't really solve any engine problems. So real world testing showed all the shortcomings of the Hemi, but it worked on the test track, which again isn't real world. I have a Ram 5.7 with 102,000 miles, but it just idles at stoplights. I also have a 2010 SRT, which again just idles at stop lights and only in good weather. No EV for me. I guess the Hemi will also be a thing of the past.

It's been a long time coming. From what I understand Stellantis owns 24 names and are known as a Global Manufacturer.
I think it's just the Chrysler name and cars that will be done. Dodge may be completely electric by 2025. Or gone completely. Jeep and Ram may hang in a bit longer.
Due to the tremendous losses manufactures are facing because of being forced to produce electric cars,they are cutting out what they can.
Don't remember exact the amount that Ford has lost in the fourth quarter, something like 70 million.It may have been 700.

I hope the car assembly workers realize what this administration is doing to their livelihood and the vote for the people that aren't forcing this **** down our throats.

Who is forcing them to build electric? Is it their own decision?

Toyota said BS on electric and isn't jumping in. Ford and GM are cutting back electric because of low sales.

saw a headline today the house is voting against the presidents EV mandate. GGOOOOD!

If you figure it out, please tell me why Ford quit making Econolines!! And yes, thousands of good workers in Ohio are waiting for that answer.

Econolines are good vans.

20240117_193940.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

You can't drive to the store without seeing a number of modern Challenges and Chargers. Nothing like the look and sound of an R/T Scat Pak. Damn, I'd own one if I could.

I have a love hate relationship with anything on the 300 platform. I cannot STAND them, but I'm glad they made um.

Yeah, Uncle Lee lost me when he decided to scrap the big block tooling! Then they went to FWD only passenger cars. This is when nearly ALL police departments and state police had fleets of RWD Plymouths! So they had to go to Caprices and Crown Vics.
I've become a van guy. You can fit more volume into a 1 ton 15 passenger than a pick-up. I have a '92 B350, my third. They stopped making them in '03 and Ford stopped in '13, although you can get a cab and chassis. I am not a fan of the "Euro" vans and I will not buy a GM van. If I want a '23 Pro Master 1 ton it's $51,000, a lease at $1,000 a month for 36 months or $1,000 a month for 60 months to buy it!
Hi Chee!

I bought a new 2007 1500 back in the day (still have it)......Piece of crap. More repairs on this thing than all of my other vehicles combined. My #1 is still a 1999 Toyota Camry, followed by my 1992 W250 Cummins truck. My wife would shoot me if I sold that car.

Mopar or no car............That's an easy one to answer.

Will this be the end of our favorite American car manufacturer?

That company died in the early 1980s in the big financial re-org (remember the New Chrysler Corporation? They didn't make any Hemi Chargers, either!) And then it died again, for realz, in 1998 when Tom Stallkamp sold (oops, scuze me, "merged") Chrysler to Daimler.

Chrysler hasn't been a carmaker for decades—just a brand.

Last edited:
Had a 2005 Magnum R/T, 5.7 hemi, the transmission grenaded at 100k miles, quoted $6k for rebuild, on a car that was worth maybe $5k, put in a used trans for $1800.00 and got rid of that pos, and took the loss of about $2k.
Took a chance on a 2003 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi, knew it had the "ticking lifter" when I bought it, lowballed the seller and got it for $1500.00, looked at it for 6 months, decided I didn't want to work on that shitbox and sold it for $2200.00. I will not buy another "Chrysler" Stellantis, Fiat, Diamler piece of ****. I sold my 1975 Dart Sport in October 2023 because I was just tired of it.
The last decent modern Chrysler product that I owned was a 1999 Sebring convertible that my ex kept, that was mostly a Mitsubishi as I understand it.

Last edited:
Stalantis dismantled the SRT group several years back. So the plan to phase out Hemis Hellcats etc was made many years ago. Stalantis made a lot of money on that aging platform it was a huge cash cow and they milked it good for a long time. Go hang out on Hellcat forums most over there are repeat buyers, bought a 2015 Hellcat, upgraded to a Red Eye, then bought a wide body etc huge following on those cars and huge profit makers. Now poof gone and all those repeat buyers poof gone too. EV Charger, turbo gas 6 Charger, the Hellcat Hemi buyers like nope no sale those buyers are gone and not coming back.

Pretty much the reason I kind of don't want one is because you can't swing your cat without seeing one...

We'll just have to carry the Mopar torch. "Chrysler" sure as heck ain't gonna do it.

ALL the "NEW" cars are junk anymore IMHO & none will last like the ones from the 70s back. Too much computerized gadgets & these techs can't fix em'. No one want's to be responsible for their own stupid actions while driving either, so the car tells them when they are doing something dumb, & people start relying on it. Cars are getting smarter & people are getting dumber!

The Hemi is gone because mopar has to go to Tesla and buy clean air credits for every new Hemi powered vehicle produced For the U.S. market. It’s a cash cow for Tesla not so much mopar.

-
Back