mopar eletronic ignition kit

-

demonmike70

Reaction score
have the kit,with orange box,going to install in 72 318 with carter bbd carb.is orange box too much,what about dist curve ?

You will feel as though you replaced the engine after the install of that dizzy setup!! Really you will have better acceleration and idle, the stock curve is just fine! Unless you have a modified motor thats somewhat radical! It will start on the first small crank too I bet, mine does!

Best mod I have made so far!

John B.

You will feel as though you replaced the engine after the install of that dizzy setup!! Really you will have better acceleration and idle, the stock curve is just fine! Unless you have a modified motor thats somewhat radical! It will start on the first small crank too I bet,
Best mod I have made so far!

John B.
thanks for you input,is the dizzy i have a stock curve?this a stock engine with 169000k on it

Aren't those Mallory distributors nice! Oh wait a minute I forgot, Mallory hasn't made a mopar distributor in years for MP, they were priced too high compared to the Chinese copy...dam more Americans out of work.

But that orange box is sweet, MP part#, cool Logo nice orange paint, they just don't quite work the same since they started having them Made in China.....I wonder why they forgot to put the Proudly Made In China on it? If you had a transbrake to lock the trans you'd see the box starts retarding the ignition timing at about 3200 under load and by 5500 it will have retarded your timing by 8*, now that's performance we just can't live without. Sure cures the high end detonation.

The distributor is definatley a "universal fit", which really means it fits nothing in the universe. Distributors need to set up with a proper curve on the mechanical advance and on the Vacuum Advance all based on the engine, driveline and weight of the car. Hard to do at home when your starting with a distributor thats 3-12* out of phase. Admittedly the distributors are a decent piece for a Made in China copy, a good starting point and can be set up properly when placed in the right hands. Knowing how to set it is not quite the same as knowing where to

But the coil works great! Oh I forgot it doesn't come with a coil ohh well WalMart Auto dept.

If Mediocracy is your goal then the MP Conversion is a great way to go, if your looking for a perfect ignition that's actually designed for your application you might want to do a search on google, "mopar ignition advance settings"

Aren't those Mallory distributors nice! Oh wait a minute I forgot, Mallory hasn't made a mopar distributor in years for MP, they were priced too high compared to the Chinese copy...dam more Americans out of work.

But that orange box is sweet, MP part#, cool Logo nice orange paint, they just don't quite work the same since they started having them Made in China.....I wonder why they forgot to put the Proudly Made In China on it? If you had a transbrake to lock the trans you'd see the box starts retarding the ignition timing at about 3200 under load and by 5500 it will have retarded your timing by 8*, now that's performance we just can't live without. Sure cures the high end detonation.

The distributor is definatley a "universal fit", which really means it fits nothing in the universe. Distributors need to set up with a proper curve on the mechanical advance and on the Vacuum Advance all based on the engine, driveline and weight of the car. Hard to do at home when your starting with a distributor thats 3-12* out of phase. Admittedly the distributors are a decent piece for a Made in China copy, a good starting point and can be set up properly when placed in the right hands. Knowing how to set it is not quite the same as knowing where to

But the coil works great! Oh I forgot it doesn't come with a coil ohh well WalMart Auto dept.

If Mediocracy is your goal then the MP Conversion is a great way to go, if your looking for a perfect ignition that's actually designed for your application you might want to do a search on google, "mopar ignition advance settings"
checked my orange box,found "made in usa " stamped on front,the box the kit came in has production date feb of 2008

I used a stock dizzy out of a later mode A body, stock curve and all. Took it apart, cleaned everything and checked the bushing, rewired my own harness and I am using the chrome box. never a problem period! You have what you need, anyone telling you to use something different, then tell them to open their check book. Remember it's your car.

For a stock look I mounted mine under the battery tray! Only way to know if it's electronic is to notice two wires coming out of the distributor.

John B.

-
Back