mopar lifters

-

73dartsport360

Reaction score
has anyone used the factory mopar roller lifters in a mild build yet? i bought a set of (1995) heads lifters and valve covers from the local yard today. I'm looking to build horse power on a budget. anyone got any dyno numbers or track times to back up the power potential on the magnum heads?
thanks
brandon

Are you building a roller hydraulic or roller mechanical cam motor ? I built a roller hydraulic cammed 360 -

the factory 95 lifters out of a dodge truck. hydraulic, has anyone used these in a performance motor?
where is the cheapest place to buy edelbrock heads?

73dartsport360 said:
has anyone used the factory mopar roller lifters in a mild build yet? i bought a set of (1995) heads lifters and valve covers from the local yard today. I'm looking to build horse power on a budget. anyone got any dyno numbers or track times to back up the power potential on the magnum heads?
thanks
brandon

Your user name implies that you have 73 Dart with a 360 if that is a stock engine for that car then it's an LA motor. The magnum lifters can't be used in an LA block for two reasons; 1. The lifter bores are not tall enough to support the magnum lifter. 2. there is no provisions cast into the LA block for the spider that must be used to retain these lifters. If you want to go roller you will need the retrofit lifters from the likes of Comp or Crane. Putting a roller cam into an LA engine can't be considered a low budget operation. Also, if you are going this rout don't forget to swap the oil pump drive with one that has a gear compatible with a roller cam.

If you have a magnum block then there is no reason not to use them. There are not really any other choices out there.

what about the roller motors that came out in the late 80's and early 90's roller hyd cams and spider type lifter retention. i've always wondered what would be the max that they would take.

The first year where the hydraulic roller cam was used stock on a 360 was 1988.. they went on through 1992, and then the transfer was made to the new 5.2 and 5.9 magnum blocks which would all maintain the hydraulic cam stock. An older 1988-1992 block would be a good starting spot for a roller cammed motor.. a little more meat in the bores and they have provisions for a mechanical fuel pump as opposed to the magnums. Good luck to you :)

Ryan

-
Back