mopar-mike's 71 duster project

-
the motor is out and i also threw in a pic of the engine bay. just left the driver side header layin in there because we didnt feel like takin the steering linkage loose. lazy i am sure, but i will be doin it all over again this fall so i can start body work, kinda jus figured id do it right then.

Attachments

• motor up an out.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 301
  • engine bay.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 316
alright got the motor out, got the six freeze plugs out that hide under the headers, all the other ones looked good. also went ahead and dropped the trans all the way out the bottom pic is it and the starter. 904 trans and 318 engine i thnk they are original to the car, but they both seem to have been gone through recently. here are the numbers that were stamped on part of my block (2536030 318-9). anyone have a clue what that means or how to decode it? it is a 70 block. there are more numbers on it but i forgot to write them down.lol

Attachments

• motor after quick clean and with out freeze plugs.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 299
  • trans waitin for cleaning.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 292
Whats the plans for paint.

still a little undecided, i really like a two tone black and silver that i saw once, matter of fact it was on tv its kenny wayne shepards duster. but then i have friends tellin me to stay with the original color. i am pretty sure it is numbers matching so i am torn on what i am going to do for paint. i know i swapped to disc brake and bbp up front but i kept original equipment. i am definately open to suggestions on what to do in this situation. because i hate the blue.lol

i am also goin rubber hose for trans cooler lines because i broke both the steel ones and i do not want to bend new ones, rubber are easier to manage for me.

alright that is all i have for updates today, that was everything i got accomplished since monday, hopefully i will have more updates within the next couple of days.

i'm hoping that in the morning when i get off work i will be able to sneak out to my buddy's house and do some work. we will see how everyone is feeling tomorrow morning. i will probably have some questions by then also.

so what does everyone think so far?

gave you a vote on your thread, hope we will get it to where you can drive it this week.

no updates on the car yet, started my work week and havent been able to get over to buddy's shop to work on it yet. monday i should get back at it.

pulled rear seat out and under the seat bottom in between the springs and the burlap looking covering was my build sheet. also while motor and trans were out buddies and i checked numbers on them against fender tag and vin and they are a match. so now i am kind of stuck with what to do....

need some advice here, do i stick to my plan and make it like i want it and just hang on to the stock stuff or do i return it back to stock and restore it all original????

Attachments

• IMG00070-20110328-1928.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 188
I would do what you want to with it, but keep all the stock original equipment.

i been slackin i know, i plan on pickin back up on this project very soon. summertime hit and i have been super busy with the kids and other fun summer type stuff.lol

I herby dub your car bondo-butt. Other than that everything looks solid :)

hahaha, fair enough, that is a very fitting name for now. i plan to put a whole new tail panel and probably whole new quarters as well.

I say do what you can afford and want. Don't worry about the traditionalist they will be looking at the back or your car as you pass them. LOL

I have never kept anything I own stock.

Have fun and enjoy the car and the build

-
Back