MOPAR Performance Ignition "MSD" tach Qustion...

-

Woodie

Take-off EH!
Reaction score
A quick qustion in regards to the Mopar Performance digital ignition system PN#4876728 (MSD 6AL) and the use of a vintage Sun Super tach. I have the original wiring diagram that came with the tach. The MSD ignition has the provision for a tach hook-up on the side. Has anyone here used a vintage tach with this ignition? The instalation instructions say the tach output on the controler produces a "12volt square wave signal" is the same signal as the use of "old school negitive side of the coil"? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Woodie.

run the green tach wire to the msd tach output , should work fine

I have a 6AL in my car and after I installed it my vintage Sun tach wouldn't work, the higher it would rev, the lower the rpms on the tach read. Maybe need a MSD splitter? I pulled the tach and replaced it with a early vintage Auto Meter one and it works great! Both tachs had the green wire hooked up to the MSD box.

Voltage Triggered: If the trigger wire of the tach was originally connected to the coil negative terminal you have a Voltage triggered tachometer.
Current Triggered: If the trigger wire of the tach was originally connected to the coil positive terminal, it is a Current Triggered Tachometer.
Wiring with...

... This explains it,

-
Back