Mopar Steelies ..Weight info

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
My friends want to sell me a set of 15 x 8 and 15 x 6 mopar steelies with the dog dig caps , i tought that they are heavy but how heavy are they , im running some centerlines right now , buth was thinking to put them in the rear for more weight balance on my duster ... if some of you guys know the weight of these steelies would be verry appreciated thx a lot !

Joe

I have original Mopar steelies on my car, date coded early 80's. 15 X 7 NOT cop car wheels, just regular looking wheels. It may be weird but I like to weigh things as I replace/update various things on the 68. I took one of the wheels to work and on an annually calibrated scale, one wheel was 24 lbs. (IIRC, afterall it was 5 yrs ago)

So I thought that was pretty heavy. If you want the look but lesser weight for drag racing, I'd look for a pair of 15 X 5 or 5-1/2 wide wheels for the front. Or paint a set of solid Centerlines body color. Back in the day, one of the Mopar magazines did a drag test and lightweight front runners were good for AT LEAST a .10-.15 isecond mprovement in quarter mile times over typical street wheels/tires.

Just a heads up, heavier wheels won't help your weight distribution. That's unsprung weight, so it won't really have an impact.

It will increase kinetic and potential roll resistance. It would also come into play if you were previsouly lifting the front wheels off the ground, since it is now added weight hanging off the car.

I don't see any potential performance gains from replacing the wheels, unless they are wider than what you have now and can support a better tire. Maybe I'm completely wrong though...

They will look really good! lol And there's something to be said for that.

mopar never made 15x8 steelies. They did make 15x8 (cop wheels without nubs for a dog dish)
15x7 was biggest steelie and smallest 15 icher is 15x5.5

I am doing the same thing mounting 15x6 and 15x8 steels with dog dish for the street. My 15x6 weigh on my scale about 21 lbs. I just dropped off the 8s so I cant weigh them. cant weigh more than a couple more lbs.

DSC02550_zps1c90ed54.jpg

DSC02538_zps516d4de7.jpg

DSC02541_zps6b1dc923.jpg

DSC02549_zps14eb194a.jpg

Ok I just weighed the bare rims;

The 15 x 5 1/2" is 21.0 lb
The 15 x 7" is 24.2 lb

Attachments

• Photo0955 800x600.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 190
You never want to add unsprung weight to a car. Every one pound of unsprung weight you save the car see as ten.

Steelie are cool though. I took the Centerlines off mine and put steelies on the rear

-
Back