Mopar Wheel Covers on Rallye

-

cpreal

66 Slant Fish
Reaction score
Will standard 14" wheel covers fit correctly on a Rallye Wheel? New 14" steel wheels are not readily available, plus from time to time I'd like to switch between full covers and Rallyes. If I remove the Rallye centers, will the wheel covers stay attached? Would love to see some pics if anyone has them.

Only drawback is you will scratch the outer edge of the Rallyes

I just assumed that because the trim rings fit, wheel covers would fit, too. Definitely would have to remove the center caps, though, which means removing the wheel from the car. So it would be a bit of a hassle. Also, the edge of the steel rim tends to show around the wheel cover, and it should be black instead of argent. But touching up the outer edge of the rim with black wouldn't hurt anything, since it would be behind the trim ring anyway. At least on my 14" rallies, the brushed trim ring sits higher off the rim than the standard wheel covers did on my steelies. But this probably varies a lot.

Oh, one practical factor: the reason I swapped to rally wheels is because the full wheel covers tended to pop off under hard cornering (as in the Bullitt chase scene). Trim rings don't because they aren't rigid in the middle — they can flex with the wheel. May or may not matter to you... I got tired of retrieving them from the ditch.

One thing on the steel wheels is there are bumps on either side of the air valve. These keep the hubcap from rotating around the wheel.

I put an extra set of rally wheels and tires on my 64 Fury because the original tires were shot, went to a car show and they said to go in the modified class, car had under 30;000 mi and is unrestored, had the wheel covers in the trunk so popped off the trim rings and put the wheel covers on with no problems

How wide were the ralley wheels and did you have the mexican hat centres?
I tried with acorn centres and the wheel disc hit them.

It's hard to believe that rallyes are easier to find than plain steel wheels, at least in 14 inch. Not sure why they are not reproduced yet. Do phord steelies work with 4.5 bolt pattern?

It's hard to believe that rallyes are easier to find than plain steel wheels, at least in 14 inch. Not sure why they are not reproduced yet. Do phord steelies work with 4.5 bolt pattern?
I bet the op is talking the SBP 5x4 pattern.
It is getting harder to find these.

-
Back