Mopars kill it in the quarter, let's see how they do sideways

-
quick update on things, we've started painting the car. it's olive drab green and all the trim holes will have black pop rivets. also got heads, intake, and carb mounted on the dummy block. tomorrow we're gonna try to tackle steering.

so in response to the comments about my work space being so tight, we've moved the car to the shop where i work. much much much more space, a whole heck of a lot more tools, and best of all, lifts!

Love it that you picked an early A for your project. You'll defiantly stand out in the drifting class. Can't wait to see some progress.

so in response to the comments about my work space being so tight, we've moved the car to the shop where i work. much much much more space, a whole heck of a lot more tools, and best of all, lifts!

I've always found "elbow" room is a helluva lot better to work in...

Hyperballsmcgee i'd love to hear more on the suspension and steering plans you have. Also what are you doing for the rear brakes to get the slide started? Dual Calipers or just an inline master on a hydraulic lever?

we've tossed around all kinds of ideas for every aspect of this car, personally, i have zero experience with using a handbrake to drift, i've always used shift-locking, power-over, etc. however i will be putting a vertical hydraulic handbrake in the car just to experiment with, and the way i see it the more things i can control on the car, the more i can control the car itself.

so in response to the brakes, with this being built as dirt cheap as possible, dual reservoir manual master cylinder, vertical hydrobrake, and whatever drums are on the rear end that ends up in the car.

so in response to the brakes, with this being built as dirt cheap as possible, dual reservoir manual master cylinder, vertical hydrobrake, and whatever drums are on the rear end that ends up in the car.

i am worried that the rear drums wont have the braking power to lock up the rear. what about a ford exploder rear with disc brakes?

I wouldn't be worried about stopping power, I'd be more concerned with consistency and brake feel. I agree with the exploder 8.8 swap.

X3 on the disc for the rear. As much as a hassle it may be, i believe you will have too many issues with consistency using drums on the car. While you may save a few bucks here and there with the drums, Overall the disc setup will be cheaper and more reliable. The 8.8 also has a huge aftermarket which mean finding the best gear combo and lockers will be cheaper.

What are the plans for the suspension? How are you going to control the rear end movement? What about the steering geometry? The newer cars have a better geometry angle at full lock than our old mopars. This enables them to recover from much higher entry and departure angles, while maintaining traction.

I've assisted with a few budget drift builds in my area. There are so many things that affect traction, consistency, and reliability. As far as a motor and transmission combo i think you have a great start. The torque and wide gearing will give you lots to play with in the rpm range and power curve. Just remember that the 440 isnt designed to hold high rpms under partial load. This is the case during a drift because you are balancing between traction and spinning to maintain control.

I've never seen someone use one of the old mopars for drifting and i cant wait to see it at a slideway (drift track pun) Please don't hesitate to ask me some questions or any other members. Some of the autocross or road track racers may have ideas that will help in your setup.

Best of Luck!

at some point in time the car will have a rack and pinion for the steering, there's also going to be spacers on the wheels to allow more lock without the tires rubbing the control arms. i learned how to drift in a chebby s10 with old style linkage steering and leaf springs so i'm used to this style setup.

Awesome man. I think its great to see someone breaking out of the norm in any sport. If that's what you're comfortable with then absolutely go with it.

Like I said before, I can't wait to see this thing drift.

-
Back