Mopars kill it in the quarter, let's see how they do sideways

-
A 440 and a 3-speed manual? That's crazy. But I am ignorant about how to set up a car for drifting. However, I'm not too old to learn. Sign me up.

FWIW: Keep the 13" tires if you can. It's a cheap way to get more rpm per mile, which should help light 'em up and keep 'em lit. The 4½" wide rims will handle a 175/70-13 at best. Going to a wider tire will pinch the tire at the bead making the contact patch narrower. This would be especially true of a spinning rear wheel.

the reason we're going with a 3 speed is for the broad 2nd gear, should give us a nice rpm range to play around with, that way we have more control over the loss and gain of traction to control the car's angle. should keep it from looping out too easily, too short of a gear and mashing on the throttle could make it too easy for the car to swing past it's full steering lock.

the way that drivers floor pan looks I might see if Pro/Am will let me drift Fred Flintstone style. sure save a lot of time and work over shovin' a 440 in there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 515
just a little update, to get more steering angle, we're going to extend the idler and pitman arms to give the front wheels a much wider swing. more angle=more sideways. can't wait to get this thing rolling!

got wheels on it and got it turned around as well as cleaned up the work space. got one inner fender removed as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 485
Amazing how much time projects consume, H.P. Balls-Mcgee.... ( damned, that's small space....).

just a little update, to get more steering angle, we're going to extend the idler and pitman arms to give the front wheels a much wider swing. more angle=more sideways. can't wait to get this thing rolling!

The other thing this will do is speed up the steering ratio. Used to do something like this back in the day by shortening the steering arms. The advantage of shortening the steering arm is that it does not require additional room to operate.

Always a sucker for a custom and an early A build. I'm subscribed! Good luck on the build man.

-
Back