Reaction score
Engine specs:
318 fresh re-ring and bearing done by me
360 heads no milling whatsoever on them
340 spec camshaft
headers
torker II intake
Eddy 600 carb
electronic ignition w/ orange box andstock distributor with light weight springs

I went out today to screw with the timing a bit since i had no idea where it was even set. Throw the light on it, it said 30btdc. Checked the advance real quick just to make sure it wasn't stuck or something. seemed to move smoothly and sprung back good. Don't have a tach hooked up so wasn't sure where the rpms are. Seemed a bit high to me so I tried to lower it down with the idle screw and it lowered slightly then I noticed the screw wasn't touching the stop on the throttle anymore. Checked my cable and it was not holding it back. Looked down the carb and the throttle blades were very slightly open. I don't know if they are supposed to close all the way or not to be honest. Another thing I noted was that the choke flapper door was closed almost all the way even after i warmed it up and revved it a few times. I don't know if maybe the choke was just stuck on and it was on the fast idle? I opened the little flapper door by hand but that did nothing. I also cranked the timing back a bit to lower the rpm and then I was getting a bit of advance from the distributor.

I have the electric choke wired to where the factory electric choke was but, I took off the little box that wires into it. (this thing) http://www.mmpar.com/mmparimages/cd0/images4/mvc-814s.jpg

On the last engine I had the choke wired up the same but i had that box still in there. I also recently adjusted the choke because when my dad was using it on his chevy he adjusted it way off because he thought it was getting stuck on (i didn't think it was). When i adjusted it i turned it untill it had very light tension on it. I think there might have even been a line where stock setting was and I was rite at it.

Maybe I've answered my own question and its a stuck choke but, I don't know much about the eddy choke system and how the linkage and such works. Some advice here would be great.

So I did answer my own question, the choke was stuck on yesterday and it was stuck on the fast idle setting. Today the choke worked perfectly for some reason, ill have to keep an eye on it. amazing what you can figure out if you just walk away.:violent1:

anyway the timing is interesting, it seems like it is full advanced at idle. so for the time being i adjusted it to about 38 degrees. I read with such low compression a bit more timing can be added without pinging. Anyway I have the mopar performance lightweight springs come in at 2,000 rpm but it seems they are all in at idle. But hot starts are fine. Maybe that will work to my advantage with such a low compression motor. It did seem like it had a slight very very slight miss but it stayed there even when i backed the timing off so perhaps i loaded the plugs up yesterday or something. had it idling for a good half an hour at least.

SirDan, maybe it is just me; but I read both your posts and never did see your question in there...
C

I couldn't get my idle to go down and i was wondering why that was. But it turned out the choke was still stuck on. I was thinking maybe it was a vac leak or throttle plates hitting or something weird.

Now I'm just wondering whats up with the distributor since it seems to advance at idle. I don't think its supposed to do that, although it might work well like it is.

-
Back