More LPW Diff Cover stupidity...

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
So, long ago it was decided that my 8.25 would get a nice diff girdle cover to help strengthen everything up. I purchased an LPW back when I thought I was going to to do the work, but things came up and I got delayed almost a year.

Now, when I finally went to put it in, I discovered all kinds of problems:

1) The cover would not sit flat over my factory caps. I ended up swaping out the hex head adjuster lock bolts for some some allen head cap bolts that were half the height. Even at that, it would still not sit flush and required additional cutting of the cap with a burr bit.

2) Once I finally got the cap to sit on the housing properly, one of the bolts didn't line up no matter what I did. I ended up drilling out the top and bottom holes just a tiny bit to get them in. The rest of the bolts lined up fine.

3) After all that I found out that the reinforcing cap studs didn't even line up properly with the caps!! (WTF, isn't this the whole point?). I ended up taking out the studs, putting allen set screw in the holes, and just using the cover itself as a strength member for the housing.

NOW, as I am addressing a faulty fuel tank/sender issue. I get up under there and realize there is only about 2.5 inches of vertical clearance between the horizontal rib on the cover and pickup tube on the tank sender! One good dip in the road and something is going to break.

It would be have been nice to know that a fuel cell is required for it to work right. :angry5:

So now I'm out $167 for some high dollar cover that doesn't work.

Anybody have an 8.25 in their race car? I'll make you a deal.

Man that sucks when stuff isn't made or marketed right. Makes you want to poke the engineer in the eye with a blunt object.

-
Back