Morel 5321 lifters...

-

MICHAEL A SCUDDER

Newb
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It may just be differences in early 1968 340" block and head castings but my Morel 5321 lifters did not clear my X-heads while bolted to the block so the heads had to be pulled back off to install the lifters. (5/29/67 head castings and 6/22/67 block casting).
After they were pulled, all was good until the #8 cylinder lifters were about to be installed. Then the block had to be massaged a little with a die grinder after some extensive taping and rag placement. The tie bar and tie bar stud in the lifters heavily contacted the block.
All is good now but don't be like me. Test fit ASAP.

IMG_20230318_180405.jpg

The lifters in the picture were extra flat tappets used to keep debris out along with being covered with tape and rags.

I used the same lifter in the 273 for my 65 Barracuda. My machinist made sure they all had good clearance before the block left his shop. Mine will install and remove with the heads on, but you gotta hold your mouth just right to do it! I don't know why it would make a difference, but I had to get my lifter bores bushed because a few were too big.

Engine is still at his shop fortunately. I took me about 30 minutes of taking a little at a time to clearance the block. Just frustrating. I guess there are variances between engines but for my particular engine they did not install with the iron heads on and did need minor block machining to be installed.

I just put together a 1969 340 engine, with a Comp hydraulic roller and Howards Hydraulic roller lifters and Trick Flow heads. I had to clearance the block for the tie bar rivets , and I don’t think the lifters would fit with the heads on. So I installed the lifters before installing the heads.

Put a 408 together using a LA360 block using those lifters. Did not have to clearance anything but could not install them with the heads on.
I also found out ...just recently.... that using those lifters requires clearancing the pushrod openings in the heads, unless you are running trickflows.

Put a 408 together using a LA360 block using those lifters. Did not have to clearance anything but could not install them with the heads on.
I also found out ...just recently.... that using those lifters requires clearancing the pushrod openings in the heads, unless you are running trickflows.
I angle drilled my X heads on a guide machine prior. No contact at all

I'm going to say probably because some lifter bores are counter sunk more than others..therefore some will install with the heads on... and some won't .
Mine did. Morel solid rollers in a 360 block.

-
Back