Morning and Hello from Central Texas!

-

Gen2Cudas

Reaction score
A good Morning!

Found all you guys and gals sometime last week or so- and happy to have done so.

I have been enjoying the various posts I have found- and the beautiful pics. . .the cars were nice too (;-) )!

I got tons of questions, possibly answers to some too for others.

I made a post in Restorations, part of which really belongs here. . .and perhaps explains our peculiar obsessions. . .

From 4/5/09:

Good afternoon. New member to ForABodies. Just ran across your posts- and you happen to be almost exactly where I hope to be in about 2-4 weeks: specifically, up on a rotisserie (that is, if I can find one ;-)).

Mine is also '67, but the fastback version. I need to get her to the 90 degree point to do maintenance on the bottom, though I sincerely hope not as much in the rust department!

As a unibody in what I believe to be relatively rust free shape, do I need to put a door brace kit in to keep the bending loads down? I am eager to get to the point of stripping the undercoat off and really examining what I've got- but don't want to compromise the longitudinal or lateral straightness of the body from the sheer weight (obviously it'll be stripped pretty much to the bone. . .). One of the first upgrades I intend to make is frame connectors. . .perhaps put those in first before I spin the body on its side? I'd appreciate any advice as I obviously haven't traveled down this particular road before. I have enjoyed "lurking" and reading the various posts- glad I joined up.

Pictures exist from the past and the present- and I will download them now that I can get on board the forums. I hope to document the "restification" as I go. . .

This particular car came out of Hamtramck in the Summer of '67, near as I can decipher the VIN and data plates. . .273 2-bbl, 904 console shift, 7.25 (with Sure-Grip of all things, tagged with 2.76 gearing), Mandarin Red (according to the Ditzler paint guys a long time ago); really, just an ordinary car, maybe screwed together on a Wednesday (as opposed to Hangover Monday or Hurry Friday!) because it has held up so well. What makes the sweetheart extraordinary for me is, my Dad bought it new in Houston, TX (a 3000 mile demonstrator) in October or so of that year. I grew up with this car, learned to drive in it, got my license in it, drove it to HS and college, thrashed it, fixed it when I bent it, bought the books, modified it like a kid will, drove on my (first) honeymoon in it- and drove it for work (with a relatively brief hiatus for an '84 Chrysler Laser) until I parked it in 2000. Garaged kept since then. At 312,000 miles it is not stock, it is a bit tired, a bit rough- though it is the only car I have ever had that has never left me on the side of the road.

Now, I have a 15 year old girl and that wants to get her hands dirty on Dad's Barracuda (and maybe the 19 year old boy, if I can pry him off the PS2!). I intend to bring it partway into the 21st century, make it safer to drive- and hopefully everyone can enjoy it the way a car is meant to be enjoyed. Heck, I expect the build will be every bit as much fun as the driving!

Part of the work is already been done: Recipe built '88 318 with the 302 heads lightly ported and matched, .030 over with 340 and 360 pieces, 2-plane Weiand and Eddy 4 barrel, Mopar Electronic ignition, iron 360 manifolds with dual exhaust; the 904 with shift kit; Formula "S" torsion bars and springs, polygraphite bushings throughout the suspension components. . .I have been collecting parts for this thing off and on since around '82; now, I finally have the time and the space, the motivation and the funding stream to start and continue until finished.

What I hope to get from you guys and gals is encouragement and advice to keep it going. Maybe I can do the same in the other direction as well.

Nice to be here. Thanks for the invitation!

Mike

Here are some pics, circa '82:

barracuda pict..jpg

Welcome Gen2Cudas, encouragement and advice is here and it sounds like you have a great plan going, Keep us updated and do all you can to get your 19 year old to hold a wrench for awhile, Looking forward to your posts

Howdy, Gen2Cudas. I see you are in Temple, so am I (actually in Troy, but work in Temple). I haven't seen that car around town, but I sure hope to before long. There will be several local car shows coming up giving you some opportunities to show it off.

By the way, I have a 20-year old son who drives a '74 Dart Sport we built for his first car back in high school.
icon10.gif

Let's get together sometime and visit.

Jerry

Dart Avatar.jpg

Thanks for all the welcomes fellers. I just wish it still looked like I had it in '82: life happened to it, weather happened to it, fender benders, kids to diaper and lack of extra cash. . .you probably all know the tune. I will post some "now" pictures, especially since I will want before and after. Suffice to say it runs well, needs brakes and a bit of work to pass inspection (new wiper blades and such)- but it sure ain't much to look at right this instant. Jerry, the last time this thing was on local streets was 2000- probably the reason you haven't seen it. Soon though. . .and the locals sure have heard the occasional loud noises coming from it when I woke it up to circulate the fluids. . .
mike

Glad you joined FABO! I love your Mopars. If you have any good racing stories, check out the thread, "Dis my ride!!!" This site rocks with terrific people.
Pat

I see you are down past Victoria, near Sea Drift. Me, I am 60 or so miles north of Austin.

-
Back