Mother @#$%@#$ Rocks....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Live about 1/2 mile or so from Lake Spokane/Long Lake. Have rocks everywhere. When the mood is right i go out and do some rock farming. Latest dumping area is out by the road, making a rock wall/barricade type of deal. With a bit of luck I might be done by the time I am worm food.....

OK, I'm just a prairie boy at heart, but I'm having a little trouble with this one. I put a bunch of pebbles out along the front of my yard, hoping to end up with a fancy rock wall graden. I just assumed that the rain would be enough to grow them, albeit slowly, but I check on them every year and they seem to be about the same size?

Since you sound fairly experienced with this maybe you could share your secrets?

Which fertilizer would promote the best growth?

Do they need moderate or a lot of sun?

Are there particular breeds of pebbles that grow faster?

We're in a Clmate Zone 3, so maybe we are using the wrong type. I just assumed that by looking around and seeing some fairly large rocks, that the pebbles in our areas would be candidates.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

By the way, I'm approaching 50 in a couple of years, so if you have a recommendation on some fast growing varieties, it would be great!

Grant

I think you need Miracle Grow once a week.
1lg018rofl.gif

OK, I'm just a prairie boy at heart, but I'm having a little trouble with this one. I put a bunch of pebbles out along the front of my yard, hoping to end up with a fancy rock wall graden. I just assumed that the rain would be enough to grow them, albeit slowly, but I check on them every year and they seem to be about the same size?

Since you sound fairly experienced with this maybe you could share your secrets?

We're in a Clmate Zone 3, so maybe we are using the wrong type. I just assumed that by looking around and seeing some fairly large rocks, that the pebbles in our areas would be candidates.

By the way, I'm approaching 50 in a couple of years, so if you have a recommendation on some fast growing varieties, it would be great!

Grant
Sir,
You must be lacking in either sunlight or plentiful clean water.
I have not found the need for fertilizer nor have I noticed one particular species perform better than another.
The secret to good growth is reverse osmosis water and an occasional rotation of the rock.
For the occasional stubborn rock I do indeed use Miracle Grow.
In regards to the Climate Zone I strongly suggest bringing pebbles inside before the first hard freeze and not returning them to the great out-doors until late spring, after your last frost.
Good Luck
Inkjunkie

Thanks.. I wondered about rotating them, but figured since there was no moss on any of them, it wasn't required.

Grant

Got the same thing going on where I live. Got big rocks little rocks rocks on top of rocks. Even got a rock that looks like a big pecker sticking straite up. Indians called it the firtility rock. We call it co$k rock.

It also helps to turn them so they don't end up flat. Direct sunlight works best as shade will indeed stunt them. I find peeing on them works best, they like the acidity. Basalt generaly grows fastest around my area.
You should have alot of Basalt were you live, Ink .

It also helps to turn them so they don't end up flat. Direct sunlight works best as shade will indeed stunt them. I find peeing on them works best, they like the acidity. Basalt generaly grows fastest around my area.
Sir,
The Boss, aka Ernie/The Wife read your previous post. Ernie has offered up a bottle of Tequila and the remainder of the Tamales, I believe 2 dozen or so in exchange for your labor.
Her terms are as follows:
1.You will not use our tractor, only our wheel barrel, which has a flat and is missing half of the hardware.
2. You will need to farm our entire 5 acres before payment is recieved.
3. No restroom privileges, peeing on the produce is permissable however.
4. Produce will be culled/stored according to size. All produce will be weighed and inspected.
5. After 2 hours of work, you will recieve one fifteen minute break.
6. After 4 hours you will required to take a thirty minute lunch. This will follow a 3 minute wash-up period.
7. After 6 hours you will be permitted a second fifteen minute break.
8. You will not be permitted to leave until the task is finished. We will not provide sleeping quarters, however a neighbor has a school bus that they were living in, perhaps you can negoiate an agreement with them.

Inkjunkie as a representative for The Boss.

We do indeed, according to Fogle Well Drillers have alot of basalt. When you get water, either from a frost free hydrant or a faucet it is fill of small air bubbles.

Sir,
The Boss, aka Ernie/The Wife read your previous post. Ernie has offered up a bottle of Tequila and the remainder of the Tamales, I believe 2 dozen or so in exchange for your labor.
Her terms are as follows:
1.You will not use our tractor, only our wheel barrel, which has a flat and is missing half of the hardware.
2. You will need to farm our entire 5 acres before payment is recieved.
3. No restroom privileges, peeing on the produce is permissable however.
4. Produce will be culled/stored according to size. All produce will be weighed and inspected.
5. After 2 hours of work, you will recieve one fifteen minute break.
6. After 4 hours you will required to take a thirty minute lunch. This will follow a 3 minute wash-up period.
7. After 6 hours you will be permitted a second fifteen minute break.
8. You will not be permitted to leave until the task is finished. We will not provide sleeping quarters, however a neighbor has a school bus that they were living in, perhaps you can negoiate an agreement with them.

Inkjunkie as a representative for The Boss.

Well then ,its buisness as usual. I accept the agreement and would be glad to fondle your rocks on the condition that i get extra water as the acreage discribed would tend to dehydrate me. The bus would be most adiqute and a step up from the VW van I stayed in, in Othello. It is most grasious that you offered up your wheel barrow as it is only flat on one side.
Regretfully yours
Zigs

Well then ,its buisness as usual. I accept the agreement and would be glad to fondle your rocks on the condition that i get extra water as the acreage discribed would tend to dehydrate me. The bus would be most adiqute and a step up from the VW van I stayed in, in Othello. It is most grasious that you offered up your wheel barrow as it is only flat on one side.
Regretfully yours
Zigs
Sir,
Extra water? I do not believe water was negotiated in any way, therefore any and all water will need to be provided by you.
I have just looked outside and could not help but notice you have not reported for work yet. If you persist in being absent your break privileges will be suspended and face the possibility of disciplinary proceedings.
Inkjunkie

In regards to the Climate Zone I strongly suggest bringing pebbles inside before the first hard freeze and not returning them to the great out-doors until late spring, after your last frost.
Good Luck
Inkjunkie

...nobody ever put them in the sun room on nice days ???

Sir,
Extra water? I do not believe water was negotiated in any way, therefore any and all water will need to be provided by you.
I have just looked outside and could not help but notice you have not reported for work yet. If you persist in being absent your break privileges will be suspended and face the possibility of disciplinary proceedings.
Inkjunkie

If water is not provided I will not be able to bring the mule and as it is a distance of 200 miles from Yakima to Spokane, I took my first break at the edge of my home sted. If all goes well you should see me in about two weeks as I'm afoot.

Highest Reguards
Zigs

PS
As mentioned in you previous note, about breaks, Sir I do not do breaks, only rocks.

I have always been afraid of bringing them indoors after my mother left some in her sunroom over the summer when they were at the cabin. She used to have a real green thumb (had to be amputated due to gangrene), and to make a long story short they had to have the south wall partially demolished to remove them upon their return.

I will try the "special" watering technique mentioned above, but will have to drink a few brewskis first - that will ensure that I have enough to water them all, and so I don't give a flap when the neighbors are watching.

Thanks again
Grant

I have always been afraid of bringing them indoors after my mother left some in her sunroom over the summer when they were at the cabin. She used to have a real green thumb (had to be amputated due to gangrene), and to make a long story short they had to have the south wall partially demolished to remove them upon their return.

I will try the "special" watering technique mentioned above, but will have to drink a few brewskis first - that will ensure that I have enough to water them all, and so I don't give a flap when the neighbors are watching.

Thanks again
Grant

Its best if you sing to them as you water and to water with the wind using a side to side motion.

You Guys a F'n funny. I just laughed more than I do at most of the jokes.

You Guys a F'n funny. I just laughed more than I do at most of the jokes.
This is no laughing matter. We take our rocks very seriously. If not taken care of properly,it can lead to a disorder were you can not get your rocks off.............the property thank you very much.

OK, I talked to the local landscaper down the street last night, and he was willing to come out and take a look. After careful examination he informed me that the rocks I have been using are incorrect for my application :(, and no amount of watering was gonna help..

He is coming by later today with 40yds of "pee" gravel, so I am stopping on the way home to pickup a coupla two fours to get them off to a good start.

I probably will need some help, so volunteers are welcome.

Grant

I am surprised that not one of you mentioned what kind of pipe you smoke them with...LOL
Smoking rock is prohebited this side of the mississippi but i have heard of small pockets of French Canadians who still practice the ritual. I for one refrane from such activity as the galvanizing on the pipe tends to make me breakout.

Yours in bondage
Zigs

Smoking rock is prohebited this side of the mississippi but i have heard of small pockets of French Canadians who still practice the ritual. I for one refrane from such activity as the galvanizing on the pipe tends to make me breakout.

Yours in bondage
Zigs

Boy you live on the wrong side of the Mississippi, here we can smoke our rock and concrete blocks is a special blend.

Boy you live on the wrong side of the Mississippi, here we can smoke our rock and concrete blocks is a special blend.

Is there really a wrong side to the Mississippi ? Smoking concrete is aproved of as long as it is six sack and rebar removed.

Grant
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fKzw05Q5A"]YouTube - ‪Idiocracy Brawndo's Got Electrolytes‬‏[/ame]

-
Back