Motor help needed

-

Still Looking !!

Reaction score
I have a 65, 273 motor with 8.8 to 1 pistons in it with solid lifters. I am looking to put the 10.5 to 1 pistons in it. Will there be valve to piston problems or will the gap be large enough. I believe the heads are a stock variety of the 1965 273 2 barrel carb car.
Does anyone have any experience with this combo ???

Any help would be appreciated.

What cam are you running?

If you have a stock cam, you should be ok, but it is always good to check your piston to valve clearance to be sure.

Also the high compression 273's had a more aggressive cam than the 2 bbls did.

Hey Jim, there's no clearance problems putting in the original style 10.5/1 pistons into your 273! That's what they did at the factory, and I understand that Egge makes the replacement pistons! Incidentally, all 273 motors were solid lifter! Now, with the domed pistons you'll also want to "bump" up the cam to commando specs or comparable also to take advantage of that compression! Good luck and have fun with the build!! Geof

What cam are you running?

If you have a stock cam, you should be ok, but it is always good to check your piston to valve clearance to be sure.

Also the high compression 273's had a more aggressive cam than the 2 bbls did.

I am going to put in the Isky E-4 cam, car has a 500cfm edelbrock 4 barrel on it now.

Hey Jim, there's no clearance problems putting in the original style 10.5/1 pistons into your 273! That's what they did at the factory, and I understand that Egge makes the replacement pistons! Incidentally, all 273 motors were solid lifter! Now, with the domed pistons you'll also want to "bump" up the cam to commando specs or comparable also to take advantage of that compression! Good luck and have fun with the build!! Geof

EGGE, doesn't have any of the 10.5 to 1 and don't know when they will make them again.
I called Kanter and they have in stock, the cast 10.5 to 1 for $426.88 plus rings at $72.00 I think that I might go that route. If not would taking 15 thousand off the heads and intake make a big difference ??

Damned if I would not contact Ross and see what a set of custom forged pistons would cost. Probably not far off the 462 dollar cast ones. I'd die and go to hell before I paid over 400 bucks for a cast piston.

Looken @ 700+ on some custo made slugs rusty RR. Thease are about the cheapest option for us nutty 273 guys! 015 isnt even gonna come close to the 10.5:1 comp man. I used the kanter pistons for the same reason, egge couldnt give me a date when they make any more of them. Im not bashen them by any means just wanted to get my engine running before winter was over. Cylender heads were the same between the 2bbl motor & 4bbl motors. The kanters have a cool teflon coating on them aswell to.

Attachments

• Picture0118141008_1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 125
-
Back