Motor Install with Lift Plate on Intake?

-

Rodzilla

Reaction score
Are those 4 - 5/16 bolts holding the plate to the intake really able to suspend a load like an engine/trans combo for as long as you need without issue, its got to be 600lbs ish. I'm thinking it could be suspened for 4-6 hours while installing. If the intake was steel I wouldn't worry as much, but lifting like that on my aluminum Indy intake makes me wonder. Am I silly for being concerned?

Yes it will be fine if you have good bolts or carb studs on the lift plate. Done it many times it works nicely even on aluminum intake.

Worked fine for me, heres a few pics, oh and my intake is a Chineeeeeese knockoff....

Attachments

• motor 1.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 363
  • new in.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 366
I like doing it this way.

100_2851.jpg

Well it is a lot more than 600lbs. for a motor/trans
combo.
weight of the motor alone is over 700lbs.
Just make sure the bolts are threaded in pretty far
and you should'nt have any problems.
But if it takes you 4-6 hrs. from the time you pick it up
off the floor til you have it bolted to motor mounts
you are really slow.
Should only take a few minutes.
Good Luck.

I like doing it this way.

100_2851.jpg
This is the way I will be doing mine from now on, use the cherry picker to pick up the car instead of the motor, thanks Mark!! although you have to remove practically the whole front underside, ie; torsion bars k member etc, still looks like a SAFER way to do it also.

This is the way I will be doing mine from now on, use the cherry picker to pick up the car instead of the motor, thanks Mark!! although you have to remove practically the whole front underside, ie; torsion bars k member etc, still looks like a SAFER way to do it also.

It works for me. :toothy8:

Ok. Thanks guys. I'm using arp bolts but maybe I'll get some studs for install. There wont be any lowering of car onto motor/k-member, my alterktion front end is already installed. Cheers

Google up the tensile and sheer strength of those bolts/studs holding the carb on. One stud could hold the engine.

If the studs are secure in fit, not a hot dog down a hallway, sloppy fit, then it will be fine.

...............I've installed many a combo like that, even bb into trucks.....i think thats safer than the 2 end intake bolts with a sling or chain......kim........

Helicoil the intake. That'll make that intake hold an elephant.

The plate, studs and intake are plenty strong to pull an engine and transmission together. x2 when you consider each one only has to support a quarter of the weight.

I've probably been involved in over a hundred engine pulls with that arrangement and never had one problem, or even a damaged thread. Nor have I ever heard of anyone having a problem.

There was a study where they rigged up a way to pull on an engine until the plate failed. It took like 9000 lbs to cause a failure, and it was the eyelet where the hook attaches that failed, not the carb studs or aluminum intake threads....

After 4-6 hours I'd be worried about the hydraulic cylinder. You wouldn't leave your car jacked up on just a floor jack with no stands for that long, would you?

Ok. Thanks guys. I'm using arp bolts but maybe I'll get some studs for install. There wont be any lowering of car onto motor/k-member, my alterktion front end is already installed. Cheers

Heck, its even easier with the Alt-k.......No torsion bars to jack with....no scratching of the paint either.

Attachments

• xmas 011 (Medium).jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 250
Suspension went in at body shop to make life easier moving car around, or I definately would have went that route. 4-6 hrs is just a guess, everything freshly painted so it will be a very slow process. Maybe I'll get lucky and everything slides in place in 15min,,,,hahahaha riiiiiiiiiight!
Thanks for everyones input, cheers.

I have one and used it when i went i dealt with my steering box. Worked great. I like it a hell of a lot more than fumbling with intake bolts.

yea. I've done it many times with trans hooked up to the engine/aluminum intake. ull be fine with grade 8 bolts. no need for studs if ya aint got em. u wont pull the threads out no way. ive seen that vid before, 9000 pounds and the eyelet broke, not the bolts or the threads...

-
Back