Motor is good but tranny is not!!

-

Thrasher

YoungestMemberUALocal7
Reaction score
Just rebuilt a whole drivetrain for a 72 Dart... but unfortunately the tranny does not shift into gear. Also, I put new clutch discs/bushings/seals etc so perhaps it was something I did wrong.

Park works and it can be shifted into neutral to get it rolling

reverse, 1 2 and drive do absolutely nothing whatsoever

I have 4 quarts in the tranny and 1 in the coverter, but the dipstick reads over full in "neutral" at this point

Any suggestions? :wack: valve body probably?

Just rebuilt a whole drivetrain for a 72 Dart... but unfortunately the tranny does not shift into gear. Also, I put new clutch discs/bushings/seals etc so perhaps it was something I did wrong.

Park works and it can be shifted into neutral to get it rolling

reverse, 1 2 and drive do absolutely nothing whatsoever

I have 4 quarts in the tranny and 1 in the coverter, but the dipstick reads over full in "neutral" at this point

Any suggestions? :wack: valve body probably?

It's low on fluid, theres no way 5 qts is all it holds. Or the tangs on the front pump are broke and it's not picking up fluid, did you have to force the motor and trans together when you bolted it up?

did you take the vb apart?
Yes I did, I didn't take any of the valves out but I cleaned the whole thing with a solvent because it was mucky.

It's low on fluid, theres no way 5 qts is all it holds. Or the tangs on the front pump are broke and it's not picking up fluid, did you have to force the motor and trans together when you bolted it up?
Everything fit together just like it was supposed to. I know that a 727 is supposed to hold like 8 quarts; should I put in another 4 quarts and go from there? I was just concerned that the dipstick reads over full. If the fluid isn't getting pumped, that would probably explain my problem.

Well I just put in another 4 quarts and ran it for a while, didn't make any difference. I checked the lines and there is no fluid being pumped through the radiator. God I hope the pump isn't bad. Looks like that's the first and last tranny I'll ever rebuild lol. Looks like it's going to the shop :sad5:

Well! I pulled the pan off to drain the tranny and have a look... and some idiot forgot to connect the manual piston to the shift linkage! :-\" So my question is, if the car was running with the piston sitting there doing nothing, could this also be the cause of no fluid to the radiator? Or should I still invest in a pump rebuild/new pump?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Well! I pulled the pan off to drain the tranny and have a look... and some idiot forgot to connect the manual piston to the shift linkage! :-\" So my question is, if the car was running with the piston sitting there doing nothing, could this also be the cause of no fluid to the radiator? Or should I still invest in a pump rebuild/new pump?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It would be foolish not to fix the linkage and give it a try. That is a lot easier than pulling the trans.

Arghh!!! The damn manual piston is not true, so it gets stuck at the very end of travel and will not go completely into park... need to pull the tranny and **** with the valve body this weekend :homework: Mods can close the thread.

-
Back