Motor mount shim and pinion angle

-

ratvon

Reaction score
Okay so I got my new $800 TTI headers and they're hitting my manual steering box I've got a shim the NEW motor mount on the driver side at LEAST a quarter of an inch to clear the box what I'm wondering is how far can I shim the driver's side before it affects things like pinion angle or anything else I'm not thinking of it this time or if I shim one side should I shim the other , can I just make my own out 5/16 plate? . I've never used these before and have put a lot of headers on from cheap ones to high dollar race headers and I even have a lift this time.. I can't say I'm impressed

If it was me, I would read the existing angles on the transmission and 3rd member and log them. Then I would shim motor both sides equally as required. Then re-read the transmission and 3rd member angles again and if required shim pinion up or down
To original angle readings. But that's just me-----

If it was me, I would read the existing angles on the transmission and 3rd member and log them. Then I would shim motor both sides equally as required. Then re-read the transmission and 3rd member angles again and if required shim pinion up or down
To original angle readings. But that's just me-----
Ya sounds like a plan I'm at an even angle on my rear and trans now . I put an 8 3/4 in it good thing I didn't weld the perches in solid. In the past I've always had the the pinion 2 degrees down but that's was on the drag cars seems like shimming the mounts would drop the back of the transmission

Ya sounds like a plan I'm at an even angle on my rear and trans now . I put an 8 3/4 in it good thing I didn't weld the perches in solid. In the past I've always had the the pinion 2 degrees down but that's was on the drag cars seems like shimming the mounts would drop the back of the transmission
It will, I set my pinion 1.5 degrees down.

Not likely enough of a change to matter.

You could check to reassure yourself.

Hope you're right 4 years and working on this thing and I see light at the end of the tunnel I'm getting impatient LOL

To original angle readings. But that's just me
It will, I set my pinion 1.5 degrees down.

I had to use 3/8 shim I'm going to try and shim the transmission mount the same instead of cutting my spot welds and relocating my axle perches

I bought spring perch shims, had to because I lowered my transmission mount over an inch to accommodate my gearvendors OD install.

I bought spring perch shims, had to because I lowered my transmission mount over an inch to accommodate my gearvendors OD install.
Thanks for the input I appreciate it helps a lot .Right now I don't have the passenger side shimmed at all. If I put 3/8 of a shim on that side it puts the header back into the steering box and I don't like that and I'm still trying to work that out

Actually after taking a break and thinking about it if I shim the transmission 3/8 and the passenger side I should have my pinion angle back and clearance for my steering box. I'm just lifting every thing up 3/8

Hallelujah! That did it! I can probably take a little out! I got clearance and the pinion angle came back! The lightbulb finally came on! With help from uncle Zeke. Hopefully this post will help someone down the road.

Hallelujah! That did it! I can probably take a little out! I got clearance and the pinion angle came back! The lightbulb finally came on! With help from uncle Zeke. Hopefully this post will help someone down the road.

hope it works out for you, I would have called tti and asked why their $600 focking headers don't fit and what they would suggest you do.

-
Back