motor mounts for 73 duster

-

73goldduster

Reaction score
does anybody know where i can get a good set of the rubber inserts for a 73 duster? the ones in my car are so shot, its not even funny.
i've looked around a bit, but cant find anyone who has them.
thanks for any help you guys can give!

You can't just buy the inserts. The whole mount needs to be replaced. A low buck way to fix them is to fill them up with windshield urethane. They must be cleaned first. I sandblasted mine, made sure the sleeve is in the center and filled it up with windshield urethane. The key is to get any oil residue out.

Au contraire, my friend.
When we restored my son's '74 Dart Sport, we bought the replacement rubber bushings at a local auto parts store - can't remember which one.
The rubber is encased in a metal sleeve, and the old one takes a bit of encouragement, but it will come out.

An engine mount has holes in both sides that the bushing slides through and the metal sleeve was punched in a couple of spots to splay the sleeve's edge out enough to hold it in place. You have to straighten out the punched spots for the bushing to slip out of the engine mount. The new bushing/sleeve is then driven through the engine mount holes and punched with a cold chisel to recreate the splayed spots on the edges.

Try checking with Car Quest, AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, or NAPA. It had to be one of those - that's where we got all the parts for our project.

Jerry

thanks, when i first went to the local parts place, the kid couldn't help too much, but i went back and talked to someone else and we found the rubber inserts (only $6 each, instead of 20-something for each mount!)
i guess it really depends on who you talk to at most places. sometimes i want to jump over the counter and find the part myself!!
now hopefully those old ones wont put up too much of fight...

two more questions:
although the inserts seem to be non-directional, they have arrows on the back side pointing one way. i assume they should be pointing towards the motor?
also, how the hell do i get to the passenger side mount?!?! looks like i have to pull the distributor and fuel pump to get at it. 74 sport, any advice from your project?

-
Back