Motor quiz: 318 or 340?

-

shadango

Reaction score
Ok, lookin gat a car on ebay.....the seller says the engine is a 340, original to the car....the VIN they sent me says its a 318 car.

So, one of three things:

-Lying about the "orginal" thing
- they were told it was original when THEY bought it and do feel it is an original 340....but how coudl you not know if it is a 318 or 340 if you are redoing it as they say they are?
- the VIN decoder on this is wrong

My guess is its NOT the third thing...

so....

Here is a quiz that may not even be doable/answerable: What engine is this:
d759_1.JPG

Looks like "someone" repainted it at some point.....I was told the exh manifolds look to be 318 manifolds....

Can't see the manifolds well enough to take a guess, but as far as I know, the air filter is wrong for a 340, no?
Wow, someone went nutso with the black spray paint huh?

What kind of car is it??

George

Sorry Dude, the only thing I'm sure about is it's an "LA" engine. 273-360. The ONLY way to see what it is is the front left corner of the block or the casting # on the side!

Can't see the manifolds well enough to take a guess, but as far as I know, the air filter is wrong for a 340, no?
Wow, someone went nutso with the black spray paint huh?

What kind of car is it??

George

Sorry....yeah, its a 72 Duster.

They even painted the windhsield washer tank...LOL

I know I know...sloppy job like that under the hood could mean the car has numerous shortcuts taken.

I guess it depends WHEN that was done...before or after (during) when the body was done....

This car is in Gerty's neck of the woods and he has offered to go take a look at it for me.....(This guy is a saint y'all!)

Well.... If the vin says 318, it came with a 318....

The air cleaner looks like a 318, 2bbl.

Look on the drivers side of the block from under the car. I bet it has a big 318 cast into it.

The air cleaner is not a 340 unit, the exhaust manifolds do look like 318 pieces, look and see what carb it on it, oil filter adaptor... However, the only way you will know for sure is to look at the numbers cast on the block.

-
Back