motor/trans removal tools first time noob

-

sdahmer

Reaction score
So I'm begining to prep for my first motor/trans removal and wanted to get some recommendations on the hoist/cherry picker, stand, and load leveler (plan on removing trans attatched). As of now I'm looking at the harbor freight hoist, summit stand and leveler. sb and tiny garage Anything else I'm gonna need? thanks in advance

I just bought the 2 ton foldable picker from Harbor Freight when I did mine together. Didn't use a leveler, just a chain - put one end on left back manifold bolt and other on right front bolt - used longer bolts so would screw in good. Had to tip motor/tran quite a
bit to get it out(remove hood). Tape up the back of the tranny really well if you don't want it to spew tran fluid all over the place when you tip it. Did it by myself, just took
a while to get everything unbolted.

I have pulled a lot of engines. The Harbor Freight Cherry picker will do a good job. If this is something your going to do once in a blue moon I wouldn't buy a leveler. There nice to have and do make a difference, but not relay a must have. You can buy a trans plug kit for the tail shaft, I recommend draining it first and I have used an aersol can top as a cap for the output shaft of the transmission sealed with Duct Tape. Works well as long as you don't break it on the ground while pulling ( ask me how i know also why i recommend draining as well. ......... was a huge mess. lol)
I will highly recommend a good quality engine stand with 4 widely spaced wheels for better balance. I have seen many an engine stand topple over while being used. and had one that couldn't handle the weight of a big block leaning the engine forward at close to a 45 deg angle. Also look for one that has a good solid pivot point for the head one that the head tube will pass completely tru the upright of the stand with atleast provisions for a bar to pass tru. The same one that bowed under the weight of a big block the head pivot point was flush with the post where it passed tru the upright and you rotated the engine by grabbing the engine and twisting it. Combine this with the downward angle and as you rotated it wanted to slip out dumping the engine. I hope this helps and if my poor explanations are confusing let me know and I will find some pics online of what I'm talking about. David

Strip down the front of the engine, if you are going to tear it down anyhow, remove the water pump along with the alternator, PS pump, and lower pulleys

Get yourself a spare driveshaft yoke, OR search, there are suppliers of rear transmission plugs. Prevents the trans from dumping fluid "all over hell."

You have a welder? You can MAKE your own leveling device, I sure will "for next time."

Thanks guys! Imma drain all fluids beforehand. Alt, ac, wp and sp are all coming off since I don't have much space to work in. Should be getting the hf 2 ton hoist on wed, still not sure on the stand. Any suggestions on particular brand and weight capacity? That mac tool looks sweet, might try to find some way to justify buying it lol. Don't own any welders, prob gonna use sasquach's aerosol cap n tape method.

I picked up my Matco engine stand at a pawn shop for $50.00. It's very heavy duty with widely spaced wheels. You can completely spin an engine around on it without any problems. I don't think it was ever used. The great thing about pawn shops is it comes down to what they paid and how long they have had it. If they have been sitting on it for a long time they take less than what they paid out on it just to recoup some of their money. They had 100.00 price tag on it and I offered them 50.00. You have to love good deals!

Going to do this exact same thing tonight!!

I found hoists and stands on CL for really good deals... for $115 I picked up a hoist and stand, hoist came with a leveler as well.

Unless you plan to do this over and over... i'd look for some deals out there. makes it easier to get rid of them when you know you can price it well under the cost of new.

Hope all goes well.

hoistStand004.jpg

hoistStand006.jpg

just don't get a 1 ton with folding legs from HF. I delivered an engine/tranny to a guy Sunday.... that is what he had, I didn't think it was going to do the job... SCARY!!

If you do get qa 3 wheel engine stand, you can always make a "T" to slide in the end where the single wheel is.. then you can use it as a 3 wheel for maneuverability or slide the "T" in for extra support.

My stuff from Harbor Freight looks just like the stuff you have pictured hoist and stand- I have 2 ton version -- both worked great

-
Back